I Promise

Seven Years Ago

"Just breathe slowly. Focus on your target." My father says softly as he adjusts my bow. I take a deep breath and released the arrow from my grip. I watch as it flies up in the air and lands right in front of the target.

A deep frown fills my face. "Damn it!" I yell out in frustration.

"Raejeania May! Watch your mouth!" My father scolded.

"Sorry, Daddy." I say, wincing at his tone.

He lets out a deep sigh and kneels to my level. "Listen, Sweetheart. The more you try to learn how to shoot the arrow for the sake of hitting the target, the less you will succeed." He gets up and motions to my head. "The shot will only go smoothly when your mind is cleared. Keep practicing."

"Until I get it right?" I say, trying to understand.

"No. Until you don't get it wrong. You are training for survival. One day this world will go to shit and you will need to adapt. Now, again!" He says motioning to my bow.

After an hour of practice, Jeremiah pulled up in his pickup. His sons Jake and Troy sat in the back. They get out and make their way to us, carrying their own bows.

Jake was the oldest out of us kids. He was 3 years older than Troy and in his second year of high school. Troy, however, didn't go to school at all. Jeremiah saw it as unnecessary to have both boys in school, when the Ranch needed tending to. So, after school, I teach Troy everything I learn to keep him up to date.

"Mornin', Jack." Jeremiah greeted my father with a smile.

"Mornin', Jeremiah. Finally, brought your boys out for training?" My father asks.

"Yup. They already know their share of guns, now we move on to silent weapons." He says patting the boys on their shoulders. "Alright boys, you guys go practice, while Jack and I catch up."

They walk over to where I was standing. A grin fills my face as I watch them walk over, but it quickly falls when I see the bruise on Troy's cheek. I sent him a worried look, but he just grinned at me. "Don't worry about it, Rae."

He says that, but I just shake my head. "I hate when they hurt you, Troy."

"Nothing I can do about it, Rae. Not until I'm old enough to leave." He says with a sigh. Their parents were huge drunks. When they are drunk, Troy gets the brunt of their anger. It makes me sick.

I reach up and touch it, but he doesn't waver his eyes from mine. "Does it hurt?"

He shakes his head. "Nah. Not really."

"Come on, you two. Stop flirting and start shooting arrows before we get in trouble." Jake cuts in.

A blush fills my face and I immediately go back to my position. I glance over at Troy, who set up next to me. I could see the hint of a smirk on his face.

~time lapse~

Later that night, I sat at the dinner table with my parents. It was really quiet, which was unusual. Suddenly, my mother clears her throat. "Raejeania?" I look up at her, but didn't answer due to the food in my mouth. "There is something your daddy and I need to tell you."

I finish the food in my mouth and softly reply. "What is it Momma?"

She looks at my father with a worried look, then turns back to me. "Your daddy has accepted a new job."

"Okay?"

"In California."

"California? Won't Daddy be gone a lot? That's a lot of work on our farm for just the two of us." I say, not fully understanding.

"No, Raejeania. We are all going to California."

"What!?" My eyes went wide. "But, Momma, what about my school? My friends?"

She reaches over and grabs my hand. "I know it will be a big change, but this is a good job. We will have more money, and Daddy and I will not have as much stress. No more farm work."

"So we are giving up our animals too?" My eyes begin to water. "This isn't fair! I don't want to leave!"

"I'm sorry, baby, but it's done. We will be leaving at the end of the summer."

I snatch my hand away from her at this news. I felt betrayed. "You didn't even ask me! Do you not care what I want? How could you do this?!" I yelled at her.

"Enough!" My father shouts. "You will not raise your voice at your mother! We are moving and that's final!"

My rage pulses through me as my tears roll down my face. I stand up from the table. "I hate you!" I ran up to my room, ignoring their calls, and slam my door before falling face first on my bed crying even harder.

How could they do this without telling me? The end of the summer is only a couple weeks away. That isn't enough time.

My self pity is interrupted by the sound of tapping at my window. I raised my head with a sniffle and rubbed my eyes. I slowly made my way over and opened the blinds to find Troy on the other side. His face is bloody, but he gives me a small smile. "Oh, Troy!" I exclaimed, quickly opening the window and helping him inside. "What happened?!"

"Mom and Dad are drunk again." That's all he needed to say for me to understand what happened. It's been like this since I've known the Ottos. I reach under my bed and pull out my first aid kit that I made specifically for Troy and nights like these. Unfortunately, this has become a routine. He sat down on my bed next to me as I get the supplies I need.

"They got ya good this time, Troy Boy." I say as I cleaned him up.

"It will be alright, besides I got you to take care of me." He teases with a smirk. Normally, this would make me smile, but tonight, I cried. My tears surprised Troy. "Rae, why are you crying? Was it something I said? I'm awfully sorry!"

"I-it's... n-not... y-you!" I managed to say. He pulls me into his arms and gently pats my back.

"What's the matter, Rae? I've never seen you like this." He says, completely confused.

I look up at him and try to keep calm. "Momma and Daddy just told me that at the end of the summer, we will be leaving for California. No more school, no more farm....no more you. They are just taking me out of everything I care about and moving me far away." More tears come through me and I feel his hand slowly stroking my hair.

We were quiet for a good while. Only my sniffles breaking the silence. Then, he finally speaks. "If ya have ta go....then we will make this next few weeks the best we can."

I pull away from him and look into his eyes, holding up my pinky. "You promise?"

He wraps his pinky in mine. "I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Day

He kept his promise. We were all smiles every day, until the day we said goodbye. That was one of the hardest days of my life. I can still remember the look on his face as my family and I drove away that August afternoon.