Tensions

I was on my way to see Becca when my phone rang. Damn, it was Alex FaceTiming me. I'd totally forgotten that I was supposed to call her. What do I do? Think, Madi, think! I let the phone ring, ignoring the call. Maybe she'll just think I'm asleep.

When I arrived at the park, I spotted Becca sitting alone on a bench.

"Hey... you're by yourself? Dan and Matt aren't coming?" I asked as I approached her.

"Sorry, I didn't invite your boyfriend," she replied, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said, sitting down next to her, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Oh really? From what he told me, it sounds like you are," she smirked, glancing at me sideways.

"What? W-what did he say?" I stammered, suddenly anxious. "I mean, yeah, we've kissed a few times, but we never really talked about what we are. Honestly, I'm not even sure if I want to be with him. Oh God, what have I done?" I put my head in my hands, overwhelmed.

"Oh, so the perfect Madison isn't so perfect after all," she said with a smug smile.

I looked up at her, frustration boiling over. "Why are you being such a bitch?"

"Why not?" she shot back, unfazed.

I rolled my eyes, trying to stay calm. "Why am I even here? What did you want to tell me?"

She didn't answer, just stared straight ahead in silence.

"Hello? Are you going to talk or what?" I waved my hand in front of her face to get her attention.

"Stop that," she muttered, swatting my hand away.

"Then talk!"

"I just didn't want to be alone, so I called you."

I sighed, irritated. "You could've called Danny or Matt. I'm probably going to get in trouble for this. I thought you had something important to say!"

"I never said it was important," she replied nonchalantly.

"No, but who asks someone to meet them this late if it's not important?"

"Why are you so worked up?" she asked, finally looking at me.

"Because I lied to someone who trusts me to be here."

"Who cares?"

"I do!" I glanced at my phone. It was 10:30 p.m., and I had another missed call from Alex.

"You can leave if you want," she said, her voice softer now.

"Oh, believe me, I want to, but I need to wait a little longer before going home. If I go now, Chris will know I snuck out."

"Why do you care so much about what she thinks?" Becca asked, her gaze suddenly piercing.

"Because I don't want to disappoint her," I replied, looking down at my phone again. I could feel her eyes on me.

"You've only known her for what, a week?"

"Yes, and?" I looked up, meeting her gaze. "She's helped me a lot. Even though we haven't known each other for long, I know she'll always be there for me. I owe a lot to Alex and Chris."

"It must be nice to have people who care about you like that," she said quietly, turning away.

"What do you mean? Don't your parents care about you?" I asked, concerned.

She let out a small, bitter laugh. "My parents? They probably haven't even noticed I'm gone."

I looked at her, feeling a pang of sadness.