An Agincourt Princess, A Fleming Queen

Start from the beginning

The streets quiet eventually, after weeks of skirmishes, and no word comes from Kardishe and the Standishe lords who have stirred the unrest in Ravaenna on behalf of their dear friend, King Jolis. Felicite doubts Jolis would have supported such a wasteful rebellion in his name, but that is not a matter for her concern. Not now, at least.

Kardishe and the Standishes are currently in River Run, Jolis's beloved boyhood home, where they can hide in the hills and forests that they know so well while they muster men to come against Julien. There are whispers that they have gone into the lands of the humans, claiming sanctuary among them.

The rebellion in Ravaenna was found to be wholly unrelated to Lucien's rebellion, merely another struggle in a long line of struggles, and Felicite finds herself uneasy at the prospect of the men returning with more force in the future. 

She is exhausted and reeling from the betrayal. Men she once hunted beside, feasted along with and danced merrily in Jolis' Great Hall now stir unrest that threaten the line of succession. The child in her womb would be exiled at best and would never see the throne that is his birthright.

Felicite is glad to have the shutters opened again, for she was beginning to feel as though she may suffocate, trapped in the palace at Ravaenna surrounded by her husband's enemies. Her son's enemies.

Despite the eased restrictions on security in the palace, the sentries are doubled now on the walls, and worse, there is no word from Julien. Her heart aches for him as she realizes he fights a battle on two fronts, one against his own brother, one against hers. Although she does not even know if Mariusz and Richard live, or if Kardishe and the Standishes are merely using their names to incite rebellion.

If her brothers are dead, who do they intend to put upon the throne?

"I cannot take this a moment longer!" Felicite declares, leaping to her feet. "There must be something I can do."

"We will sit and we will wait for word," Anjolique replies. "Going out now is madness."

"And waiting for word is better?"

"What will you do? You are nearing the end of your pregnancy. You cannot ride. And there is no one to accompany you to ensure your safety. I forbid it."

"I know exactly what I will do," Felicite replies haughtily. She snags a page by the arm and commands him to fetch the Master of Horse to ready her mount.

"Felicite!" Anjolique gasps. "You must not. It is far too dangerous! I forbid it!"

"You are the one who told me to think like a queen, Lady Mother, and that is precisely what I intend to do."

Felicite and Dulce find the deserters of Julien's army on the road. She reins in her horse and the mare rears dramatically. She struggles to maintain her seat, clinging to Athena's mane desperately until the horse stands square upon the ground once more.

"Where are you going?" she demands of the captain, who removes his hat and bows.

"Princess Felicite," he says. "We are returning home. The king's cause is lost."

"Lost? What do you mean, lost? You mean for me to believe that these good fighting men of Briony flee from battle and stand now before me like whipped dogs with their tails between their legs?"

"The cause is lost!" the captain repeats, shaking his head.

"You desert your king?"

"My king is dead," the captain replies. "These men served your father, Princess. Some of them served King Jolis. Some of them were beside Jolis when your husband killed him. Now you stand here and ask us to risk our lives for him? Perhaps it is you who are the deserter, Your Grace."