07. Goodbyes

To say that Becca felt immense guilt over what she was forced to do was putting it lightly

To say that Becca felt immense guilt over what she was forced to do was putting it lightly. It had been a week since Ben died by her hands. A week since Peter and Aunt May lost their husband and uncle. She couldn't bare to look at them without seeing Ben's eyes staring at her. She locked herself away in hers and Peter's room. The boy wanted to help, he was there when it all went down. He knew it wasn't her fault. That blame was solely on Adam Sinclair. Peter had tried to convince her of that. But the girl wouldn't listen. To her, the person who pulls the trigger, is the one responsible. She may not have been in control of her body. But it was her body that pulled the trigger.

She needed to talk to her Papa. He was the only person who could understand what she was feeling. But she couldn't talk to him, not unless he called her.

All Peter wanted to do was help the girl he loved cope with the guilt and grief she was crippling under. She missed school because of it. Peter had as well, but he planned on going back after the funeral that was set to take place today. The small family had invited Mary and Steve to join in the service that was being held. To comfort Becca.

To the world, Benjamin Parker had been caught in a robbery at his lab. Shot trying to stop the thief from taking his work. But to the two people who knew. Becca Barnes was the real killer.

A knock on the door brought Becca back to the cruel reality she was forced to live in. She looked up to see Peter, his eyes soft with worry. He wanted her to know that it wasn't her fault. But he had tried before and failed. "The service is starting soon." He mumbles, "Aunt May's waiting. Your mom and uncle will meet us there.." He adds quietly. Peter notices that Becca's not even dressed in her dress. The black dress still hangs in the closet. Untouched.

Peter sighs, "You need to get dressed." He tells her, walking over to their closet. He takes the dress of it's hanger, looking at over, "Uncle Ben would want you there."

"Uncle Ben should be here." Becca mutters, tears falling from her blue eyes. "I don't deserve any of this, Benji." She mumbles, "You should hate me. Aunt May should kick me out."

Peter steps in front of her line of sight, squatting down to face her. His hand rests against her cheek, his thumb wiping away the stray tears. "I could never hate you." He tells her for what he feels as is the millionth time. "I love you too much to hate you." Peter confesses, "You need to know that. I need you to know that."

Becca's eyes widen, her blue eyes locking with Peter's brown eyes. To hear the three words she was missing in her life. From her best friend. The nephew to the man who she had killed. How could he possibly love her after all the hurt, pain and suffering she had caused. "Love?" She questions, she wants to laugh. Tell him that he shouldn't. That he's just joking. But she knows he isn't.

"Yeah, Fia. Love." Peter says to her gently. "I love you, Rebecca Sofia Barnes. My Fia." He mutters, smiling at her with tears in his own eyes, "My delicate flower." He adds, "The hurt and pain you inflicted was not your doing. You need to understand that."