02 : Heir Apparent

Start from the beginning

I glanced at her, my brows furrowed, unsure if I heard that right.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Vince is known as Mitsuo in Tantei High."

"Alternative name?"

She nodded. "Yup. And do you know Naomi?"

"Naomi?"

"Nathalie."

That name triggered a certain memory. I remembered the woman Vince brought here when she returned for a while. It was just a brief time but she was the first 'friend' I had.

"They have a son."

I stifled a gasp upon hearing that. Vince and Nathalie? They . . . they had a child?

"Then . . . that means the main family . . ."

"Yeah. Their blood still continues." She suddenly stood and stared at the sea. "And actually, Naomi and his son would arrive here in a few days."

***

"Where are the criminals you are talking about?" he asked, but it sounded like a demand.

Maintaining my composure was difficult in front of this Kyo. His presence was enough to feel his superiority and strength.

I breathed deeply to calm my mind and pulled the device out of my pocket.

"They are still in the CIA but this device can teleport them here."

"Heh. I see. That smart-ass is still developing handy inventions."

"Should we go to Keimusho-rei first so that they can be easily imprisoned?"

He scoffed. "No. They need to stand trial."

He stood up and started walking away. I had no choice but to follow. After a few minutes, we arrived at the barren land where most of the torture and execution take place. There were still pools of blood on the ground and vultures were quietly looming above us. Some of the Executioners were preparing a huge pot of boiling oil and setting up several bamboo stakes.

Most of the Executioners who were fighting against each other halted and dashed here. Farallon arrived a minute later and stood beside me.

"Who's going to be tortured?"

"Most probably, the criminals I brought."

Kyo glanced at me and gestured to bring the Nox members in front of him. I pressed the only button on the device and after a thirty seconds, several members of the Nox Organization appeared before us.

The look on their faces was a mixture of nausea, confusion and anger. Despite their feet and hands being bound, few of them started attacking the people around . . . which was a wrong and dumb move.

"This one's mine!"

"Humdrums are, indeed, stupid."

"Couple of Erityians, too."

Executioners easily subdued them and most of the humdrums were easily brought to their knees by Karim, an 11-year old trainee.

Farallon whistled, and most of the Executioners were impressed by his skill.

"How does that feel?" Yuma taunted as he pointed his scythe to an Executive neck. "Your members are being toyed by an 11-year old Jikko."

Eerie hissed as he glared at Yuma.

"A traitor like you," Yuma said as the tip of his scythe digging through Eerie's skin, "brings shame to the Senshin tribe."

"Yuma. Stop."

My skin crawled upon hearing that familiar voice and when I turned around, I saw Lionel walking toward our direction.

His long, blonde hair was tied cleanly and his ever regal disposition was apparent.

"I have finished cleaning the Rei level," he reported to Kyo.

"Good," Kyo responded and Lionel went to the Nox's direction. "Reliable as ever," he commented.

"Of course," I said. "He's been Vince's rival since they were young. Strength-wise, he's probably second to you."

"You're right," he chuckled. "But potential-wise, that brat is higher than him."

"That brat?"

He didn't answer my question and just enjoyed the torture he was seeing. After that, the 'jury' decided which level each of them would be put. They were transferred to the keimusho while I stayed there with Kyo.

I shuddered when I felt his presence getting stronger and I had to step back to not get overwhelmed. When I looked at him, his grin was nowhere to be found and it was replaced with a grim expression.

"Their leader, where is he?"

"He escaped," I replied. "We're currently monitoring his movements."

"I see. We can help."

"How?"

"We can extract information from their brains. Give us at least a day."

"Okay. I'll be counting on you."

He silently walked away and I was left alone. I wanted to contact the CIA but communication outside was forbidden in this island. Well, the absence of the prisoners would probably be enough as a report.

***

It's been 36 hours since I arrived here and I was still adjusting to the intensity of voices inside my head. My range had improved and I could now hear the cries and howls in the prisons. It was draining but I was used to this kind of exhaustion since I was a child.

I suddenly remembered how Nathalie almost lost her memories before because of these voices. That must be really scary.

'How did you know my name?'

Hearing a voice inside my head, which was neither a scream of pain nor cries from mind torture, made me flinch. Who . . . wait . . .

'N-Nathalie?'

'Who are you?'

I immediately went out of the cabin and ran toward the bridge. Farallon was on his way to the shore so I went with him.

"Hey, I heard her," I said while catching my breath.

"Ah. So you knew."

"She's here?"

"They just landed."

We both dashed toward the shore and Kyo, as well as Kiyoko, was already talking to the two people who just got out of the boat.

Nathalie looked at my direction, a hint of surprise on her face, but after a few seconds, she smiled, as if she had finally recognized me.

"Naia?" she called.

"Nathalie."

Then my eyes drifted to the guy beside him and I halted when I saw his face.

He looked exactly like Vince.

"This pisses me off," Kyo grumbled. "It's like looking at those two brats' faces."

Nathalie chuckled. "I know what you mean, Sir Kyo. Well, Hideo raised him so he kinda got his personality."

"You kid," he said while looking at the guy.

"His name is Nathan," Nathalie said.

"I don't need his real name. What's your alt—"

"Hiro," the guy suddenly answered, cutting him off. "Sir."

Wow. He's got guts. I'll give him that.

"Hiro. Well then, you've got things to do."

"Things to do?"

Kyo grinned as if he just found someone to toy with.

"As the rightful heir to this damned island."

***