Palm Trees & Masterchef

Start from the beginning

Richie laughed again. "Let's go to Hawaii. Real coconut and pineapple there, Spaghetti Man!"

"Ew."

"Sinner."

Eddie rolled his eyes. "You're right. Being gay won't send me to hell. It's my hatred of coconut and pineapple," he said sarcastically.

"Yep," Richie said, popping the P. "For real though, we could go for break. My parents have a beach house in Maui and we can both get time off of work."

Eddie was aware of Richie's parents' wealth, but he hated when Richie offered him the opportunity to indulge in it. It felt unfair, like he was using Richie for his wealth and not because they were best friends.

"I dunno, Rich. I, uh, promised Bev I'd go shopping with her this break and I don't really have the money for a plane tic-"

"Just stop, Eds. I know you don't like when I offer to pay for things for you, but you're my best friend and I lo-, uh, really like having you as my friend. So, please, let me bring you on a trip. You need to de-stress and I want you to come with me." Richie sounded like he was pleading, and Eddie felt terrible.

"I, uh-"

"Please? We can literally chill on the beach, we don't have to buy anything except some groceries because my parents leave pots and pans there. I need a vacation and so do you. You've been overworking yourself!"

Eddie sighed, resting his head on the back of the couch. "I owe you one."

Richie's eyes sparkled with joy as he leapt to the other side of the couch and tackled Eddie, pressing kisses on his face.

"Richie! I'll still back out!"

"No you won't!" Richie exclaimed, but he climbed off of Eddie. "I'm so excited! We leave in two days, go back!"

"How are you going to get tickets? It's spring break!"

"I already have them, I just needed to convince you!"

Eddie smiled and laughed, walking off to his room. "Thanks Richie. I love you," he whispered to himself.

He didn't think Richie would have heard him.

•••

"I'm so nervous, Bev!" Eddie whined as Bev sat on the end of his bed. Eddie was shuffling around his room, doing last minute packing.

Richie was out, going to lunch with his parents before he left. He was very close with them, and they had flown out to California for a conference, so they decided to meet Richie before he and Eddie left.

"Why are you nervous?" Bev asked, rolling onto her stomach and looking at Eddie's anxious shuffling around.

Eddie shrugged. "Like, I'm not really nervous for the trip itself. It's just..."

"Richie?"

Eddie nodded, biting his lip in embarrassment.

Bev moved to the floor beside him, hugging her friend tightly. "I know, honey."

"I don't know what to do, Bev. It'd ruin everything if I told him!"

"It could make things better, too."

Eddie sniffed. "I'm not what he wants, Bev. I'm his best friend! He'd never like me like that! And I don't know how I'm not supposed to admit or show that when we're stuck on an island together for a week!" he exclaimed, trying to keep from crying.

If he cried, Richie would be able to tell. It was like Richie just knew when he was sad and made a beeline for him, and Eddie knew he wouldn't be able to lie if Richie asked why he was sad.