Forgotten

College wasn't supposed to change anything, yet it changed everything.

The losers had been best friends for years, but college simply changed their lives. Even though they'd been through thick and thin together, they were torn apart.

Bill and Stan had been dating but were separated when Bill went to Oregon State University and Stan went to NYU.

Mike managed to get into Florida State University, much to his pleasure.

Bev was able to get into a designing school in New Jersey.

Ben went to Connecticut for an internship, where he was thriving.

Richie went to Los Angeles and got into an acting school there.

Eddie was the only one who didn't get to go off to his dream school. He was stuck at Maine's community college, since he didn't have the money to leave.

He and Richie had dated but broken up when they went to different schools. They both loved each other more than life, but Eddie couldn't find it in him to leave and Richie refused to stay behind.

Richie always told Eddie he'd call him, but he didn't ever do it.

Eddie was struck by the thought that Richie had forgotten all about him, but tried to push it away. His best friend, the love of his life, forget him? It seemed impossible.

It had been four years since they all left, and Eddie was still in Maine.

He'd finished up and gotten an Associates degree, but it didn't seem to benefit him at all, as he was stuck working from home with a news company. He made money, and was saving to move out, but his mom still didn't want to leave.

That's when his phone rang.

Eddie sat up, bags under his eyes. He'd been working on an article to send to his boss, but it was dull work. He grabbed the phone and answered it, not recognizing the number.

"Hello?" he mumbled, knowing that he didn't sound profession at all.

"Am I speaking to Edward Kaspbrak?" asked a deep voice.

"Yes, how can I help you?" Eddie asked, hoping it was a solicitor so he could hang up and be done with the call.

"This is Josiah Lenox. I work with your news firm, but I'm stationed in California. I've seen your work, and I want to promote you. Would you be willing to come out to meet us for an interview? All expenses are paid."

Eddie sat up, his eyes wide. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, sir. I emailed earlier, but you may not have received it."

Eddie opened his email and realized that he had, indeed, received an email from Josiah Lenox. He did a quick google search to determine whether or not the man was the real deal, and it seemed that he was.

"Uh, I'd love to come out for an interview."

"Fantastic! I'll email your code for the plane ticket. The flight leaves Friday, and you'll be here for a few days, longer if you decide to work with us. I'm looking forward to meeting with you, Mr Kaspbrak!"

"Uh, yes, me too!" Eddie said, smiling widely.

He was getting to leave. He was going to live a real life, a new life. Maybe this had been the chance he'd been waiting for.

***

Sonia was not pleased Eddie had decided to leave. Her toxic love had plagued Eddie for the majority of his life, but nothing she said could stop him.