Prologue

Long ago, in a world where magic existed, there was an enormous and prosperous empire called Obelia. In this empire lived two lovely princesses, Athanasia, the first princess, and the second princess, Jennette De Alger Obelia.

Jennette was loved by the entire continent, and also loved by her father, emperor Claude De Alger Obelia. Although he was a cruel and violent man, Jennette was able to melt his heart with her abundant kindness and warm personality.

Athanasia was quite similar to Jennette, as they were both blessed with beauty and had kind hearts. However, because she was neglected by her father and left to be raised by anxious maids, she turned out more nervous and gloomy than Jennette.

Even though she was mostly ignored by others and whispered negatively about, especially during her 14th debutante, all she ever wanted was to have a good relationship with her only living family members, Claude and Jennette.

One tragic day, Jennette was drinking tea with Athanasia and fell to the ground, coughing out blood. She had been poisoned, and immediately, Athanasia was accused of being responsible for the incident. She tried defending herself, but to no avail, was sentenced to be hanged by the orders of her own father.

There was one person who truly cared about Athanasia and tried to stop her execution, and that was her nanny, Lily. Angered, Claude decided to kill her as well, right in front of Athanasia. Horrified, Athanasia died with many regrets and a horrible, painful sadness in her heart.

Although Jennette recovered and her body felt better, her heart ached with guilt, as she was part of the reason her sister had died. Years later, she was finally able to put the ordeal behind her and married her lover, Ijekiel. They ruled the Obelian empire alongside each other, living happily ever after.

In reality, however, "happily ever after" was only able to last for one year. Anastasius, Claude's older brother, who was supposedly killed by him decades ago, was alive and planning to use Jennette to get revenge on him.

Using black magic, he successfully manipulated Jennette and killed Claude, leaving the entire empire at his disposal. Under Anastasius' rule, the empire suffered due to his recklessly selfish actions, and it eventually collapsed.

But what if Princess Athanasia didn't die?

Could she have been able to change the tragic fate of her family and empire?