Chapter 52 - Winter

Start from the beginning

"If you are bringing stuff for her next time so will I! Any food requests? Because that's all I can think of right now on what you would want. Hospital food must suck ass." A knock on the door interrupted the light-hearted atmosphere. The door opened revealing one of Elle's regular nurses, holding a tray that had a glass of water and a few medicines.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting, but Miss Todoroki needs to take her medicine." Elle glanced up to the clock on the wall, noting the time. She didn't even notice how fast time had passed. And for how long she still didn't speak a word to either of them.

Shoto reluctantly scooted further up the bed, removing his arms from around Elle to let Elle take the tray into her lap, setting Shoto's book aside.

"What medicines does she take?" Natsuo questions, remarking how none of the medications were into a bottle.

"Mostly medicines to boost her immune system and fight away her fatigue. Her next set of medications won't be until after dinner, those ones will be different."

"Which ones are those?"

"I can't say, we are constantly switching them because Miss Todoroki quite easily builds up an immunity to them. If you want to see a list of the ones she has tried so far, you will have to speak to her prime doctor." Shoto nodded. The nurse smiled as Elle handed the tray back to her, the four waiting until the nurse left the room before striking conversation again.

"She seemed... Nice?" Fuyumi commented softly. Elle made a small face, sticking out her tongue from the bitter taste left in her mouth from the meds. "Doesn't taste very good?" Asked Natsuo with a chuckle. Elle shook her head.

"I have heard the more bitter it tastes, the more it works!"

"That's dumb."

"Not really, you just gotta get them down quick enough so you don't really taste the bitterness." Fuyumi further informed the siblings. Elle grabbed a hold of the book again, feeling Shoto shift behind her to return to his earlier position, except his body was more relaxed, his arms mostly draped around her shoulders instead of locking her in them. She didn't have the heart to comment about his affection, she expected it from her twin. He hadn't been able to hold her or anything since they were 5 years old.

And yet here she was, 15 going on 16- Not enjoying affection when she used to love it when she was younger.

She was just going to blame that on trauma.

Yeah.

Anyways-

Listening to her siblings talk was different, she expected the first hour to be more awkward, deafening silence, wanting to break free from the room and escape from their clutches. But, it was the opposite. Was her mind really that elaborate to create that sort of scenario for people who were supposed to love her no matter what?

Faces flash in her mind, bringing her back to the reality she faced, squeezing her eyes shut to block the sounds of them talking that she didn't mind before- but was now transmitting into static, high pitched ringing, reminding her that, yes, those scenarios produced from her mind can easily become true.

Just as her body temperature rose, it was cooled down, goosebumps rising upon her skin over and over again until they were put to a stop by Shoto securing his arms locked around her, keeping her anchored from flying off the rails with her quirk.

She opened her eyes again, glancing up from her lap blearily, still unable to hear fully, ears under the water, the surface thick with ice, perfect for skating over and fishing for the animals that lived below.

"Hey hey sis, it's okay we are here. We are here now." Reassured by Natsuo, Elle shook her head, dropping her head forward to hide the twisted emotion she knew was showing on her face. Her head pulsed, temperature increasing then decreasing, flashes of faces. The hurting they brought to her. Locked away and threw away the key; picklocked, forced open despite her efforts.