Chapter 1: As Our Paths Cross

June 1997

    She felt like screaming.

    Or running to the neighbor’s house to make a scene.

    Should she?

    Dylan Tyler continued digging her white sneakers into the wet mud, wanting to cover every side of canvas with dark, brown pasty soil. She watched her mom over the wooden fence, talking to their new neighbor, holding up a tray of freshly baked cookies. Cookies that she was supposed to bring to school tomorrow for all her new friends at the book club.

She hated being the new kid.

     Her mom promised to make them for her last week and she never breaks her promises. But then she saw her mom grab the tray this morning. She followed her and watched as her mom handed the tray over and put a hand up before starting to head back.

    She crossed her arms over her chest, as her mom walked back to the house.

    “Dylan, come sweetie. I want you to—“ She felt a twinge of satisfaction as her mom’s eyes looked down, landing on her now soiled brand new shoes. Her mom’s eyes looked stern and disappointed before she sighed deeply.

  “We’ll talk about this later. Come and meet our new neighbors.” She reluctantly slipped her small hand into her mom’s as they walked next door.

  Their new neighbor grinned widely at her, her arm extended. “Hi, honey. I’m Margaux Hayes. I used to go to school with your mom. What’s your name?” Dylan looked at her briefly before her gaze fixated on the tray of cookies and her face fell.

  She squeezed her mom’s arm before her mom squatted to her level, smiled, and whispered in her ear. “Did you see the batch I did with even more chocolate chips for your book club?” Her eyes widened when she realized her mistake. She gave her mom a quick peck on the cheek before she extended her hand meekly.

    “Hi. I’m Dylan Kate. But you can call me Dylan and I’m six.” 

    Mrs. Hayes laughed lightly. “And you can just call me Aunt Marge, honey. You look so pretty.” Dylan was about to reply when a boy rushed to them, stopping by the door and grabbing a few cookies from the tray before he bolted.

  But Mrs. Hayes grabbed him by the shirt, stopping him in his tracks. “Now, that’s not nice Peter. What do you say to our new neighbors who brought the cookies?”

  Dylan looked at the boy curiously when his eyes widened as his gaze dropped on her. He continued to stare at her just as Dylan waved and smiled. “Hi. I’m Dylan.”

    Peter Hayes stood still, his gaze holding Dylan’s when Mrs. Hayes spoke. “I’m sorry. He can get really shy around new people.” Mrs. Hayes looked at Peter, rubbing his arms. “It’s okay, you can go back in. You can meet Dylan next time.”

    Instead of rushing in, Peter placed the cookies back on the tray and pulled at his mom’s sleeve. He whispered in her ear as his mom tried to muffle a laugh, shaking her head.

   “She could be. Do you want to ask her?” He shook his head as he approached Dylan. He held a hand up, his face breaking into a huge grin.

    “Do you want to see something cool?”

    Dylan looked at her mom, asking for permission. Smiling, her mom nodded as she held Mrs. Hayes by the elbow. “Do you think we can share recipes without them falling down or hurting themselves?” Dylan’s mom whispered.

    “They’ll be fine. Let them play.” Mrs. Hayes laughed. “It would be such a sight to see if Peter even lets her in his tree house. It’s his favorite place.”

    Their mothers broke in a fit of giggles as they went in, leaving Dylan and Peter on their own. Peter held his hand up, surprising Dylan.

    “I’m eight. Are you older than I am? ”
    Dylan shook her head. “No. I’m six. Why?”

    “And you’re a girl?”

    She looked at him in confusion before nodding. “I think so. Why are you so silly?”

    Peter puffed his chest, with a determined look on his face. “Then that means I have to look after you and protect you. That’s what my dad taught me. It’s a promise.”

    “That’s a very weird promise.” Dylan commented, scrunching her nose.

    “I know. Do you like tree houses?”

    Dylan nodded. She’s never seen a tree house, much less be in one. Peter pointed below her so she looked down to see he was pointing at her shoes.

    “Your shoes are wicked cool.”

    She shook her head in disapproval. “No. They’re not. They’re new and dirty. They’re not as pretty anymore.”

     Peter swung his hands on his sides as they walked. “No. They’re still pretty. Just because they have soil over them doesn’t mean they’re not pretty anymore. We can wash it under my tree house if you want.”

    “Really?” Dylan asked, her eyes wide in surprise.

    “Sure. I’ll help you.” Peter smiled at her. “My tree house is so cool it even has a small fountain in it."

    They reached the back of Peter’s house when he stopped, facing her.

    “Do you want to be best friends?” Peter asked, putting his hand out. “My dad said when you’re new somewhere, you can get pretty lonely and I really don’t want you to be lonely because you’re nice.”

    Dylan looked at him in wonder. She had never had a best friend. She had always wanted one. Like her mom had her sister, Aunt Jillian. Someone to share secrets with, laugh with, talk to, even cry with. Someone to always be there for her. And it warmed her heart.

    “Sure,” she replied, and without hesitation, slipped her hand into his.