Chapter 1: Break-in

Rio

I am Rio, Rio Aledia. I live in Tagaytay, Cavite (at Molave St., to be specific). I suppose everyone had read the first part of my story. Actually, that happened 3 years ago while I was riding my way to school, Ravenwood High. I was 14 years old that day and that was the first time I used my aberrance to save lives. Bold, wasn't it? Who would have thought that a simple ride to school would turn out wrecking my and everyone else's brain who were riding the bus?

I know that everyone of you already realized (because it was done stated) that I am not just any other ordinary girl. I have an aberrance and as for the sake of your vocabulary, it is the ability of people like me to be different from the others - in other words, it's our term for superpowers. By the words gravity control, I can manipulate the gravity. The thing I did awhile back was I redirected the gravity on the back of the bus so that it will fall to that direction.

I'm aware that there are a bunch of people with aberrance out there but no, I haven't met nor friends with any of them. I just know that my father is an outré (the term used to call us) and he said that my mom wasn't. My mother died when she was giving birth to me. My father said that that was because she was an ordinary person which made it difficult to carry a baby of an outré inside her womb. And yeah, she made it to carry me for nine months but also died from giving birth.

And no. Ravenwood High isn't a school for people like me, freaky and odd. It's a normal school with normal students. So basically, I'm here, sitting and studying about boring stuff about Biology.

"Hippocampus is a region of the brain that is associated primarily with memory. It is located in the medial region, or the inner region, of the temporal lobe." said our instructor in Biology II but... I don't have the energy to listen to what she says right now.

I stared outside the window, which was on my left side, while leaning my back on my chair with my arms crossed, wondering why do I have to deal with these boring words that come out from my instructor's mouth.

"Hippocampus forms part of the limbic system, which is particularly important in regulating emotional responses." she continued.

I don't know if it's just me but I think everyone's feeling bored in her class. Come to think of it. Wala kaming interes sa subject niya - okay, except for Thea, that girl who wears a striped shirt, bell bottom jeans, yellow rubbered braces, got brown curly hair... and sitting right next to me.

But the rest of us? No.

"Hippocampus is thought to be principally involved in storing long-term memories and in making those memories resistant to forgetting, though this is a matter of debate."

Why do I have to study Biology when I'm not even planning to take any medicine courses? Argh!

"Psst."

This class is so boring, I'm close to jumping off this building.

"Hey."

Well, Rio. As if you can do that without getting suspicious of not dying.

"Rio!" muntik akong mapatalon sa pabulong na sigaw sa tenga ko. Medyo nagtaasan ang balahibo ko sa batok nang maramdaman ang mainit na hangin na dumampi sa balat ko. It smelled like mint!

I turned my head to the back and a guy with a jet black hair brushed on top and trimmed on both sides with some group of strands went their way down, not so pale skin, reddish lips, and a pair of steel blue eyes greeted me. He has the typical bad guy look with his silver piercing on the lower right side of his lip, and a small black earring on his right ear. He was smirking.