The Hired Wife - Chapter 2

"Ms. Anderson, Mr. Monte will see you now."

I shot my head up in surprise at the lady who had just exited Mr. Monte's office and was speaking to me. I politely smiled to show her my thanks who then nodded in acknowledgment and left before another word was spoken.

I took in a deep breath of air before I stood up, walked to the large wooden door outside his office that screamed wealth, straightened my outfit one last time, and walked in.

When I entered his office I immediately took note of the lean yet muscular figure whose back was turned to me. Mr. Monte was facing the window looking out into the city and his hands were stuffed down his pockets. His suit was lain across the back of his chair and the sleeves of his white shirt were rolled up below his elbows. I couldn't help but notice the incredible width and power of his shoulders that slowly narrowed into a lean waistline, and the taut muscles of his back that contracted and loosened with every breath he took.

I quickly chastised myself for doing such a naughty thing as checking out my boss, but I soon justified my actions. No harm in admiring from a distance, right? Even if it is your boss?

After all this, Mr. Monte finally turned around to face me. His front was even more breathtaking! His dark, tousled hair that shadowed his piercing gray eyes were even more pronounced against a backdrop of flawless skin, a straight nose, a superb jawline, and a pair of full lips that looked like they made deals with the devil on the weekends. Lips that I soon realized were pulled up in the corners, forming a smirk.

I broke my gaze from his wonderful lips to realized that Mr. Monte was trying to suppress a laugh! I felt my cheeks quickly heat up as he broke the silence. "You must me Ms.--" He looked down at a piece of paper on is desk and then continued, "Ms. Anderson... My new personal assistant." He looked back up to me and I noticed his humorous side was no longer present. I sensed a rigid and strict aura about him and it made the room suddenly feel cold; yet his eyes still hinted at a mischievous side and I had no idea how to feel about it. "I hope you will be able to adapt to the way of life here, and I hope you will be able to keep this job unlike the many other PA's I so frequently fire." Mr. Monte said it is so nonchalantly and paired it with such a cocky smile, it made me feel sick with disgust. Apparently I was frowning because he then stated more forcefully, "Ms. Anderson, I do not enjoy working with people who have a bad attitude, so I expect you will have a better one the next time I see you." I was about to defend myself when he interrupted me. "You are free to go." And then back he went to looking out the window he, I decided, so loyally adored.

Well, this will be fun!, I exclaimed sarcastically in my mind as I walked out of his office. I did not like this man... Not one bit.... Even if he DID have the body of an angel..., I scowled as I formed the thought.