ice cold

from mandadoration on archiveofourown

You were starting to seriously doubt if those credits were worth having to hide for the rest of your life.

Okay, so maybe that was an exaggeration. You wouldn't have to be running or in hiding for the remainder of your life, but you won't be able to show your face until whatever political turmoil was over and your name was already in the history logs and grey was streaking in your hair. Maker knows how long that will take.

So for now, after having assassinated some politician or noble or both from Hosnian Prime, you had fled to an ice planet with no name in the Outer Rim to rest and recover for a week or two before you had to continue to keep moving. While it was nice to know that you had the credits to settle down and comfortably lay low for several years, there was no doubt that there were already a handful of pucks and tracking fobs out there literally with your name on it. So instead you had bought the thickest fur coat credits could buy when you had decided on this no name icy rock.

It was still freezing.

You stare unhappily at your reflection in the quickly cooling cup of caf as you try and think of warmer places and sun under your ridiculous coat. You look like a damn nerf with how the fur curled up around your face. It was a gamble spending the credits to get this. You had bought it in a rush and barely raised a single noise of complaint when the vendor had told you the price. The shopkeeper had watched you with a wary eye, making sure the credits were real and frowning at you when you tapped your fingers impatiently against the table top, but eventually handed the coat over to you as you practically sprinted off-world. What was the point of having such a disposable income if you couldn't spend it without raising a few suspicions? You wish that you could pull off the noble, high-class lady some of your assassin "friends" could do. If that were the case, you would've instead decided to hide away in some secluded resort under the guise of nobility trying to escape everyday life. That was a better alternative than this. You sigh and push the caf away in favor of pulling your scarf over your face to try and make sure your nose didn't freeze off as you scan the room again.

The cantina is quiet, save for the howling wind that's picked up outside. It's pitifully small and understocked with a single droid bartender idling, not enough customers to even be polishing glasses. There's only two other people in here, both bundled up like you so that you can't exactly tell what species they were. You figured that they were from some random outpost miles away in the snow. Some kind of mining business, you think, but the cold is making your teeth rattle and you can't bother to follow that train of thought. The lighting is minimal here, the swirling snow outside blocking what little natural light there is.

The door to the cantina opens, and all heads turn to see who it is.

Your heart drops when you recognize the glint of beskar and the emotionless helmet of the Mandalorian in the threshold. You immediately burrow deeper into your coat and scarf, hoping that he would see that there was no one of import here and would leave, but he knows better than that. He scans the room once, his gaze stopping when he spots you huddled in the corner with wide eyes. Before you can even think about trying to leave, he strolls right up to your booth, footfalls heavy as he slides in the seat across from you without any preface. You stare at the dark 'T' of his visor, jaw clenched shut to stop your chattering. The Mandalorian places a puck on the table, and slides it over, showing the rotating hologram of your face. Your gaze is torn from your scowling image as he shifts to show the blaster he's got attached to his hip. You don't say anything, but instead opt to narrow your eyes and fix him with the harshest stare you can muster as you sit motionless in your seat. You doubt it actually does anything, but you were not about to let him bring you in after you had made the biggest paycheck in your life.