The Unexpected Abandonment

2 billion people. It had appeared erratically and infected them all. People everywhere, dropping like dead flies. Panic was spreading faster than the virus itself. In every apartment, in every household, men, women and children cowered and shivered, afraid that they might be the next victims. You would think that someone would have come up with a cure by now but that wasn't the case. If anything, the virus had gotten worse over time, as if it longed to see the pain and fear that glistened in their prey's eyes. Chaos. While the population became more infected, the economy fell. Buildings destroyed and abandoned, laws being disobeyed on a large scale, it was every man for himself. It seemed the only people who weren't easily able to contract the virus were the people who had experienced apocalyptic video games so to them, this was just another level to conquer. Those who weren't so lucky as to acquire those skills were desperate to stock up on supplies and then dive back to the holes where they hid with their families and friends. 

That may have worked for some. It didn't for me. Why did they have to go? Was I not worthy of their safety? I refused to let them go, tugging on the end of their clothes, begging and quietly sobbing. She gently grasped my waist and pulled me closer. They promised they would be back soon, that I had nothing to worry about. He softly kissed my forehead as I grabbed her neck, not wanting to be let go, wanting to stay in the warm embrace. It wasn't meant to be, as I was slowly but surely being lowered onto the floor and was forced to stand on my own feet, without any support. After one last goodbye and reassurance, the pair gathered their belongings and headed out, becoming silhouettes and then fading into the night. They left. The realisation struck me with a force so bad I gripped the armrest of the couch which was situated nearby. I reached for my chest and grimaced, before letting the tears flow down. They left. My parents left me...

But for who?