Chapter Three

The sudden pressure of the demon's warm lips against mine sent shockwaves rocketing through my body. He tasted salty, and of the savoury pastries he had been eating. I tilted my head back in surprise. What on...? Beelzebub pulled away from me. My fingers shot to my lips, protecting the against the cool air. "Beel..." I said in a low whisper, cautious and very confused.

Beelzebub turned away quickly from me. In a few strides of his long legs he was across the kitchen and reaching for a glass from the shelf above the sink. I called his name again. He either didn't hear me or willfully ignored me. He turned on the faucet, filled the glass to over flowing and drank it down quickly, water splashing down his shirt. My eyebrows lifted in curiosity. I stared at his shoulders for a moment before I found my voice. "Er, Beel. You're spilling water all over yourself."

"Oh..." Beelzebub said, looking down at himself and the damp patches creeping across the front of his shirt. He paused, placed the glass on the counter, wrapped his arms around his body and in a fluid movement pulled his wet shirt up and over his head. It hung in his finger tips for a moment and then fell to the floor. He slid his hands in front of him, wrapping himself in an embrace. "And my stomach is all bubbly again...."

What is going on? I began to think that the demon was far-and-away in some corner of his mind. He was acting strangely. This was not the straight-forward and plain-speaking Avatar of Gluttony I had come to know in my time at The House of Lamentation. Beelzebub was the plow horse of his brothers; steady and consistent. He eats like a horse too... sort of... in an always kind of way. I shook my head slightly, refocusing on the demon. Yes, he was behaving oddly. The way he bundled me up in the bedroom, the kiss in the kitchen, the way he spilled his water and tossed his shirt aside. I didn't think I minded any of it, but I was nervous about the why of it all. I observed him carefully. The muscles of his back were rolling under his skin, his shoulders were gliding side to side as he rubbed his stomach.

The demon turned around and faced me. His cheeks were stained beet-red in a flush, camouflaging into the spice coloured hair that framed his face. His very steely and decidedly irritated face. "You." His voice was aggressive, just like the night Mammon and I had stolen his custard. I jumped. Me? This time there was no one here that could stop a rampage if the Avatar of Glutton took his demon state. A slow trickle of ice water slid down my spine, slicking over every millimetre of my skin.

I was scared. I pushed myself backwards along the kitchen table. "Wh-what about me?" I asked him, my voice quivering. The demon took a step, closing the space between us. He was fearsome as he approached me; his eyes narrowed and fixed on me. What is happening?! He snorted and took another step towards the table. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't make my lungs take in a single gulp of air. My heart thundered in my chest, sounding loudly in my ears, nearly deafening me. I reached behind me and grabbed a hold of something round and hard. I could feel frigid fear sloshing through my veins. In an instant, Beel bounded towards the table. I flung the object at him with a scream.

I heard the projectile hit his muscular body then clatter to the floor. My stomach clenched. I curled in my legs towards my body, desperate to protect myself against the demon. My mind went black with flashing stars of white. My breath locked in my lungs until they felt ready to explode.

.... What?

But there was silence. I didn't feel the demon's large hands against my body, or his gnashing teeth on my skin. The only noise was the pounding of my blood in my ears. I opened my eyes slowly. The Avatar of Glutton stood frozen in place. He looked downwards along his torso to the fallen object on the floor. "S-sugar?" He said.