Chapter 32- When a Window Opens, Take It!

I love this part of the movie and I love this chapter of my fan fic! I hope you love it too! I don't think any of you will be surprised by it, but I don't think you'll be disappointed either.

Enjoy! :)

Chapter 32- When a Window Opens, Take It!

Lightning dug deep, determined to give this race everything he had. While the others did cheer for him occasionally, for the most part, they were silent as they were so anxious.

"Ready?!" Fudge hollered, now that she was the cheerleader again. "Okay!

"Hey! Listen to me! I'm on the mike!

"Whatcha gonna do when the Lightning strike?!

"I said, whatcha gonna do when the Lightning strike?!

"Yeah! Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do,

"Whatcha gonna do when the Lightning strike?!

"Uh-huh! He's on that track! He gonna take the lead!

"'Cause you know darn well that guy is speed!

"He'll get number one, not number two!

"And he's gonna beat the heck outta you!

"What's gonna happen when he runs that race?!

"Lightning will win fir-irst place!

"He won't just be in the top ten!

"He'll beat all of the Next Gens!" She missed saying the line about him beating Cal and Bobby.

"It's a great race, you'll feel alive,

"And guess who'll win, it's ninety-five!"

"C'mon, buddy!" Mater shouted.

"You got this, Mr. McQueen", Cruz whispered to herself anxiously.

"There ya go, kid!" Smokey reassured Lightning through the headset, trying to keep him calm. "Now, show 'em how the old guys race!"

Before long, he managed to climb his way up to nineteenth place.

"Yes!" Fudge shrieked. They had a lot of work to do, but they were making progress and at this rate, they had a good chance.

"Lightning McQueen is making steady progress in the early parts of this race", Bob Cutlass observed.

"Well, it won't be enough to catch Storm", Natalie Certain declared firmly.

Fudge made a face at that. What a b**ch!

"Considerin' he started dead last, I don't think he's doin' half bad out there", Darrell Cartrip voiced his opinion.

"Come on, come on, come on!" Fudge murmured anxiously.

"Not too shabby!" Smokey proclaimed appreciatively once they were up to lap fifty-one. "You keep this up, you'll finish in the top ten!"

"Top ten's not gonna cut it, Smokey!" Lightning countered. "I gotta go all the way!"

"So, dig in!" Smokey instructed. "Remember your training! Find Storm and chase him down!"

"Oh!" Cruz exclaimed. "Tell him he has three laps to catch me!"

"Cruz says you got three laps to catch her", Smokey obliged.

"Yeah, okay. Tell her thanks."

The race went on for a couple more laps. It was around about this point that Sterling approached Cruz, who was stood with Fudge on the opposite side of the crew chief platform as everyone else, and inadvertently triggered a chain of events that would flip the entire race- and maybe even the entire sport- on its head.