Chapter 4- Murals, Models, and the First Meeting

Start from the beginning

I looked around the beach some more and spotted an old man not too far away facing the beach, a canvas in front of him. Now that I think about it, I hadn't had the chance to buy supplies for my painting. I pulled out a pen and paper and scribbled a reminder.

Painting would allow me to free my mind, even just for a little bit. The smell of acrylic paint, the sound of the bristles sweeping across the empty canvas made me swell in excitement.

I had almost forgot the reason why I came here. I needed inspiration for a new art concept. Painting nude had never crossed my mind before, but the fact that an anonymous bought my art opened a new possibility for me. Maybe if I look a model for a nude painting, I'd be able to cultivate my skills some more.

But, who?

A model who was confident enough and professional enough to pose for me. Only one person crossed my mind. I caught Erin's eyes the moment an idea hit me.

"What? Do I have mayo on my face?" Erin asked with a hint of suspicion in her voice.

I grinned at her and her face turned sour. "Stop grinning like a hyena, Em. You're creeping me out."

Even if she told me to stop, I couldn't help myself. "I need you to do me a favor."

Her suspicion only skyrocketed when I told her the word "favor". I wasn't really the type of person who asked for help— even though I was already in a pinch. Nana had always told me off that my pride would be the death of me.

"I need you to model for me..." I mouthed slowly and Erin's expression softened. "Naked."

The last word had caused my best friend's mouth drop open, but my mind was made up—only Erin could pull it off.

"What!?" Erin yelled at the top of her lungs, making other customers turn their heads in our direction. I looked around and saw curious eyes frown at us. I mimed my apologies for disturbing their supposedly calm lunch.

"Well, I think I should try painting nude." I reasoned out.

Erin sat back as she let out an exasperated sigh. "Emerald, I like your insight about painting nude but I don't think you're asking the right person."

I frowned. "I totally disagree. Come on Erin, considering that we're best friend and we've known each other for over five years, you are the perfect model. We're very close and I feel comfortable if I'll work with you. Plus, you're confident and beautiful. You're the best option,"

"Em, I don't think you even have any other option."

I clapped once as she highlighted my very point. "Precisely! Hence, you as my model," I beamed at her that only made her groan. "Pretty please with cherries on top?" I begged, batting my eyes and smiling wide.

"No. Nada. Non. Fin." She replied sarcastically with finality in her tone and a cold smile, something that Erin Johnson was notorious about. It was the very reason as to why a lot of guys in campus never even dared to spew the magic words to her.

"Pick another person." she then sipped the remaining of her juice.

"And where am I going to find a single soul who's be willing to strip and pose in front of me? We're not from here. We don't even have friends and relatives here."

"Who says anything about a friend as a model?"

I groaned inwardly at her statement. I did not come here to make friends; I was here to get inspirations.

"I don't like the sound of that," My forehead wrinkled, uneased.

"Relax and trust me. I'll get you a model. It'll be easy peas-y lemon squeeze-y," she replied with a quirky smile carved on her mouth.