Part 4

Ten days. Ten days have passed by since that day. I tried not thinking about it, but it was nearly impossible. The only times I could do that was when I was busy at work. Otherwise, I'd be busy overthinking, fantasizing about a happy ending or remembering moments I had with him.

I had trouble sleeping. It was 8 or 80, I either fell asleep like a log and woke up with a nightmare, or I'd have an insomnia and wouldn't sleep the whole night. I look like a mess and I know it.

I checked his media every once in a while. I missed him. I missed Kal.

Everything reminds me of him. Every man I see in a distance looks like him for a second. I wouldn't admit it, ever, but subconsciously, I look for him everywhere I go, in every motorcycle I hear, in every crowd. It's pitiful, really.

Today, I didn't need to look for him. I was met by this gigantic poster of his new movie across the street. He looks so good. Tough and determined, but definitely so good.

I stood there staring at it for almost a minute. It was only when this woman in a hurry bumped into me that I snapped out of it, proceeding to walk down to my workplace, lost in thought. Once I got there, Sandy had already left a ton of files on my desk. That means I'll be occupied during the whole day, thankfully. I go and grab some coffee before settling down and start working.

I'm sad, just like the weather. The sun barely showed up. The blue sky is hidden away by all these unique grey clouds and it has been threatening to rain ever since 11 AM, but so far it's still holding up. Now it's almost 6 PM, the night is starting to set in, but I still have some work left. I'll just finish this folder and then I'll head home for a much needed hot shower.

I'm almost done with it when my phone starts ringing. I pick it up to check who's calling and my breath gets caught in my throat.

It's Henry.

I debate for a few seconds whether I should answer it or not. I curse myself mentally because the first thing on my mind once I saw his name was "maybe he's calling because he misses me". Fuck you, expectations! I'm tempted not to pick up. But on the other hand, he rarely called. Even when we were seeing each other. He'd rather text or talk personally. So it leads me to think something could have happened. Also, I missed his voice terribly.

"Hello?" I pick up, trying to dismiss the nervousness in my tone. I'm met by the sound of light sobbing and labored breathing. "Henry? What happened? Are you okay?" Now, I'm truly worried. My heart quickening up its pace, fear setting in. Especially when he doesn't reply. "Talk to me. You're scaring me, Henry." I plead, tears filling my eyes.

"I need you." He chokes out, in between sobs.

"I'm here, baby." I assure him, my voice laced with emotion from finally hearing his voice. "What happened?"

"It's been two years." He sobs out. "Two years. It was my fault. It should've been me."

"Henry, you're not making sense. Tell me where you are. I'll come meet you." I say, feeling slightly better now that I'm talking to him, but still very worried about his state.

The reply never comes. Only more sobbing. "Please, Henry. Let me in. Let me help you."

"I'm at the cemetery." He informs me, in a small mumble.

"The cemetery?" I question, more myself than him. "I'll be there as soon as I can, okay?"

"Please, come." He pleads, and the sound of him sobbing before ending the call tears me apart. He sounds desperate, anxious. So I run to him the fastest I can, without thinking twice.

Ten minutes later, I'm parking my car by the cemetery. I enter it, frantically searching around for him. I do a quick look around. And that's when I spot him in the distance, sitting on the grass in front of a gravestone. I run quickly to him, stopping once I reach him.

Sitting there, gaze settled on the stone, he doesn't even notice me approaching him. I drop to my knees right beside him, carefully putting my hand on his shoulder. He snaps out of his trance and faces me. I feel an urge to cry just by looking at his face.

His usually shining blue eyes are now bloodshot red from the crying. The tears are still running down his cheeks, some getting stuck on his beard. I reach out and cup his face, wiping off a couple of them with my thumb. He closes his eyes at the sudden touch, clearly trying to contain all his emotions, I can tell by the way he's flexing his jaw. He looks so pale and hurt.

"I'm here." I whisper, shooting him a small and emotional smile, as my eyes get filled with tears once again.

He lets out a sob as he leans his head into my chest. I caress his hair with my hand, the other one wrapped tightly around his shoulder, pulling him close to me. He responds by wrapping his arms around me as well. Pressing soft kisses into his hair, I quietly sob along with him. I hate seeing him like this.

"Promise me you won't leave." He begs, tightening his hold on me.

"I'm here and I'm not going to leave you, Henry." I assure him. My chest tightens once I realize all the pain and fears this man has inside him.

We stay like that for God knows how long. I didn't care. I'd hold him for as long as he needed me to. I just wanted him to get it all off his system.

After a while, his breathing starts getting more even, as the sobbing subsided. I press a confident and reassuring kiss to his temple before we pull back slightly, just enough for us to look at each other.

"Feel better?" I ask gently, as I cup his jaw, running my thumb through his stubble soothingly.

"Yes." He whispers softly, his voice hoarse. "Thank you for coming. And I'm so sorry for bothering you."

"I'm here for you, Henry. Always was. You can trust me." I assure him, squeezing his shoulder.

"I know." That's all he says, before turning his attention to the gravestone in front of us.

I follow his gaze and look at it for the first time.

Kathleen Reed

1986-2018

Beloved Daughter

"Who is she?" I ask, my voice not above a whisper.

"My fiancee."

Give me feedback???

Part 5???