one

🌠 September '94

After finishing up with one of my clients, I started to put back any braiding hair that we didn't get to use back. She tells me, " I am so sorry for your loss. " As she hands me the exact amount we had discussed that the style she wanted was going to be.

I sighed and replied with, " Thank you. " Today, everyone was careful of what they said around me. Didn't hear a lot of gossip and some of them even, gave me cards with 20's and 10's.

" Hey, Kimberly. I'm getting ready to go pick up my daughter. So, I'll see you Monday. " I said.

" Alright. Just be careful, Clarissa. It is starting to get dark outside. " She said.

💖

Lately, I've been thinking of putting Alexis back into daycare and letting my mother watch her on the days when it is closed. Which is basically only on Saturdays since, that is one of the busiest days where the shop is actually packed.

I'm pretty sure that Nicole doesn't mind keeping her. But, ever since I found that syringe laying where the candy would normally be at, I've just been having second thoughts about this. She doesn't look like she would be doing drugs but, in these times you never know.

" Do you have any spare change? " A stranger asks me from downstairs while,  I was going upstairs. God, I hate coming here.

Knocking on the door, Nicole opened the door looking the same way she did when I first dropped off Alexis this morning.

" Look, you're gonna have to start giving me some money or let me have some of your food stamps. If Alexis is going to be coming over here everyday. " Nicole said.

She hands Alexis over to me along with her backpack.

" I got you next time. " I replied.

" Dominic, go and find Alexis's sippy cup. I just seen her with it, a little while ago before you came. " She said.

Dominic stopped playing with his toys and walked out of the room to get the cup.

" I don't think you understand what I was asking you. Cedric had stopped by and he took all of the money that I had in my purse and I was hoping you could help me out for a change since, I am basically watching Alexis everyday of the week but, on Sundays. " She said.

" All I have on me is a twenty dollar bill. But, why do you even let him come in your place at all, if all he does is steal from you? " I asked her.

" He's spending time with Dominic and I don't want him to stop showing up all together. " She replied.

Dominic gives Nicole the sippy cup as she hands it to me. I couldn't help but, begin to feel sorry for her. But, at the same time I have to think about my daughter, she might see something that isn't meant for her to see and as usual, I'll have to explain. Just like seeing her dad getting killed in a drive-by.

Vote, comment and share.