thirty six|birthday surprises

Start from the beginning

"Dahlia."

≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛ ≛

Veronica sat with one foot on the dining room chair, her hands resting on her knee and her chin placed on top.

"Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls?" Klaus scolded.

"We get it! Now, let's just figure out what the hell we're gonna do."

"What I would like to do is take a strong leash-"

"-Children, please." Elijah spoke, cutting Klaus off. "Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Veronica is quite right."

The brunette shot the hybrid a smug look, resulting in him rolling his eyes.

"We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please?"

"The spell you described... Dahlia calls it 'kenning'- using proxies to watch her enemies from afar. But, I've never seen it done on quite this scale."

"Great. So, basically every Hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy. Best. Birthday. Ever." Veronica sighed.

"The good news is, I know a little about how her magic works." The witch spoke, attempting to be optimistic and gesturing to a tray that has a silver tea kettle and five tea cups full of brown liquid. "This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us."

Freya and Rebekah were the only two to reach for the cups. Although Veronica knew she should probably drink it, she knew Klaus would probably scold her yet again for trusting her so quickly.

"Well, come on! This should work like a charm!" Rebekah smiled.

Elijah grabbed two cups, handing one to the brunette as he took a seat in the chair next to her.

"Bottoms up!" Veronica mumbled, the four taking a drink from their tonics.

Noticing Klaus hadn't made any attempts to walk over and take one of the cups, Elijah sighed.

"Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

"I prefer biscuits with my tea." The hybrid shrugged.

"Of course." The brunette sighed under her breath.

"Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells. No, what we experienced was a test- Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later."

"Well, if she was watching us, she would know that we have our own army."

"She also knows where we are. And, given the immense nature of her power, we simply do not know what to expect from her. What we need is to create a new stronghold. Something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft." Elijah stated.

"That's a fine strategy. I offer another-" Freya spoke up, "-we can use Alexander to trace her magic back to its source. Find out exactly where she is."

The others in the room looked over to Veronica, who's gaze was focused on the cup in her hand. Feeling as though they were all burning holes into her skin, the brunette lifted her head, sighing and rolling her eyes.