Chapter Five: Road Trip

Start from the beginning

The skate park was two blocks from my house, so it wasn't a very long walk, and it would just waste gas to drive.

I reached the park and saw two familiar people, Trevor and Justin. When they saw me, they waved me over. I raised my hand in response.

"Chloe Price! Long time no see!" Justin exclaimed with a slur in his scratchy voice, he was high as always.

"Hey Justin. Trevor." I replied and shifted my board to my other arm.

" 'Sup Chloe?" Trevor nodded in my direction.

"About to try skating after taking a hella long break."

"Oh dude, it's about time you get back on a board." Said Justin as he scratched the light brown stubble on his chin.

"I agree man," I said and dropped my board on the ground.

"Well, we'll leave you to it." Trevor and Justin walked over to a ramp and began skating again.

I decided to start small first, on a ramp that was barely off of the ground. I pushed off the concrete with my foot, and quickly pulled it back on the board. I went up the ramp fast, and sailed down, heading for the big ramp. Instead of stopping myself, I pushed off the ground harder and said "Fuck it! Let's do it!" And I soared up the big ramp, toppling off on the top. It'll leave a big bruise on my thigh, but it was totally fucking worth it.

After a few more hours of me screwing around on my skateboard, I got hungry, and returned home.

Step-douche and mom were sitting at the dining table talking about something.

"Oh, hi Chloe. Dinner's on the counter if you're hungry." My mom pointed to a collection of plates, pots and pans.

"Thanks." I strolled over to the counter, ignoring David glaring at me, and looked at the food.

Pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy, and some steamed vegetables. Not bad, but I could do without the vegetables.

I grabbed a plate from the cupboard and scooped some food onto my plate. David was sitting in my usual seat, so I sat directly across from him, next to my mother.

"-and then Ray had the audacity to get angry at me, because he said I was being too harsh on that Wagner kid." David continued angrily as I sat down.

"Maybe try a gentler approach next time," Mom suggested, and took a sip of her tea. I said nothing, although I wanted to, and took a bite of the pork chop.

"Gentle doesn't work with those kids, they're all hard headed." David insisted.

"Maybe you're just the hard headed one, and you can't socialize like a normal being." I smirked, and ate a bite of my potatoes. His face turned red, and the corner of his mouth twitched, tell tale signs that he was getting angry.

"Chloe," Said mom sternly. She looked at me with a disapproving look, to which I responded with a shrug and eye roll.

"No, Joyce, let me speak to her." David began. It was easy to tell he was trying to control his anger.

I know he cares about me, but it's too much to fun to get him all riled up. Honestly, I don't blame him for getting mad at me most of the time, but it doesn't mean I enjoy him screaming at me.

"Yes mother, let David speak to me." I folded my hands and rested them on the table, and stared at him expectantly.

"Chloe, I don't appreciate the way you speak to me." David started.

"And I don't appreciate the way you treat me, and all of the students at Blackwell." I responded. My mom sat quietly, looking anxiously at us.

"Okay, and I respect your opinion, Chloe. I know, I get upset easily, but I'm trying to control my emotions better. I care about you and your mother, whether you like it or not. I don't want to fight or argue." Said David, which was surprising.