13: Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

**

"For the hundredth time, I'm here to see Caroline Knight. I'm her daughter." I tell the lady at the front desk.
She was as thin as paper. It looked like someone could breath on her and she would blow away.
She chewed annoyingly on a big wad if pink bubblegum. The smell was making me nauseous. Her black hair was pulled up in a tight ponytail.
"I understand that, but I don't have your name on file." she says looking at the computer screen. Her grey, hazel eyes searched the screen with a serous squint.
I could feel my light powers wanting to blast her through the wall. Instead she handed me a stack of visiting papers to sign and told me to fill it out.

"This is just fücking great!" I grumble.
"Do you want me to..." Devlin draws his finger across his neck making a gasping, dying noise.
"No, nobody is dying today!" I snap.
"Technically, there are." he says.
"Oh shut up."

"Well what crawled up your àss?" A familiar voice says.

I knew that high pitched girly voice anywhere. "Ash!" I turn around and see her strawberry blonde hair up in a bun. Her big green eyes looked at me with excitement.
She pulled me into a big bear hug.
I couldn't help but notice the slight bulge in her stomach as she hugged me.
"How come you didn't tell me you were coming out here?" She asked.
"I was going to surprise you and mom." I say pulling away from our hug.

I didn't want to be rude and ask if the was knocked up or if she was gaining a few pounds.
If she was pregnant, she would have told me by now.
"And this must be the famous Mr. hotty with the body. I hope your hitting little Rah-rahs buttons right, if you know what I mean." She says with a wiggle of her eyebrows.

"Ashton!" I hiss out through embarrassment. I can not believe she just did that to me. Is it even possible for your friend to embarrass you twice, the moment they open their mouth?
"And you must be Ashton Star. Korra has told me so much about you and those crazy things you did as teens." he says while pulling her into a hug.
It was a lie. I never mentioned anything about her to him. I'm really going to need him to stop reading my thoughts.
My eyes almost bulge out of my eyeballs, when she reached down to squeeze his butt.
He jumps back and quickly came back to my side. He was blushing bright red from embarrassment. Never thought that I would ever see him blush in a million years. I knew that Ashton was just doing that to mess with me. But Devlin was a little freaked out.
Ashton and I shared a quick look of amusement as we struggled to hold in our laughter.

"They won't let me in to see my mother." I say, changing the subject.
"Oh, I got this." Aston struts over to the front desk. She exchanges a few words with the paper thin lady and points at me and Devlin.
The lady nodes her head and hands Ashton three neon, visiter stickers. Ashton walks back over to us with a smile.
"Here, put these on." she says while handing a sticker to Devlin and I.

"Her room is in the 3rd floor in room 324, to your right." Ashton says.
"Wait, your not going?" I asked.
"Yeah but I have an appointment myself." She says while pointing to her stomach. She gives me a bright smile.
"Your pregnant!" I sequel.
"Uh-huh! Now hurry and go see your momma." She says while shooing me away.

I turn around and see Devlin looking at Ashton with an almost blank expression.
"What's wrong?" I asked him.
"Nothing, let's not keep your mamma waiting." He says in a cheerful tone.
But his eyes said something else. They were almost sad. I could tell he knew something was wrong.

I softly knock on my mothers door.
"Come in." a weak voice calls out, followed by a terrible cough.

"Mom it's me, Korra." I say while opening the door.

The room was completely dark except for a light, by my mothers bed. It dimly lit up the room. Currants were drawn closed. Keeping out any ray of life. It was almost dead.

"Is that my honey-bunny?" She calls out.
"Come and open the curtains so I can get a look at you." She instructs me.

I do as she says and wished that I hadn't. Tears dared to fall from my eyes.

My mother looked gaunt in the face. Her skin was sunken over her bones. Making her look fragile to even touch.
The normal carmel golden glow of her skin was pale as snow.
Huge dark, bags were under her big hazelnut eyes.

She looked so weak.
So tired.
It was killing her.
Yet she had the biggest smile on her face. Making her look young and beautiful again.

"M-mom... I..." my voice cracked. I was near my breaking point.

"Shhhh, now don't be rude ain't ya gonna introduce me to your fine looking friend of yours?" She interrupts me.

I clear my throat before I speak. "Momma I would like you to meet Devlin Steele. He is my... Uhh..."

"Fiancé." He quickly adds.

I chocked on my spit that I struggled to swallow.

What the hell was that?!

I direct at him in my thoughts.

"Oh my word! The Lord has answered my prayers! Now I can leave earth happy, knowing that my honey-bunny, has someone to look after her, when I'm gone." she says with a peaceful smile.

"Don't talk like that!" I snap.

"Don't act like you don't know what's going to happen sweet cakes. I've been fighting this sense you were born. I'm just so tired. The pain.
All it is is pain. I don't want to be miserable because I'm alive. I would say I've had a happy life. Good memories to keep and leave behind. I know your fiancé knows when to take me away.
He is, after all, the angel of death."