Home Alone

You were finished with getting your gear on. Steve was still struggling some with his ski boots. Usually, you would offer to help, but not now. The cabin felt small with Steve bending over and looking like a god. It hurt in your chest to look at him so you took out your back up skies and went out. Small snowflakes were falling from the sky and it looked so beautiful around you. Maybe you could come back to Alaska someday to enjoy the country as it deserved to be enjoyed. After you left the team, you would have a lot more free time so travelling was going to be easier.

You put your skies on and made sure you had all your gear. Steve came out of the cabin and you started your journey to the Hydra base. Again there is only silence between you and you are so focused on the mission that you don't even think about Steve. You find the facility exactly where you had found out from the agents the day before. You hid in the woods and waited for Maria. There are a few guards around and you can easily access their minds. They have no suspicion that something is going to happen, which you tell both Steve and later Maria when she comes up to you. Together Steve, Maria and you come up with a plan of attack. Your job was to get into the facility fast and free the children because getting them out alive was the top priority. Everything goes well until you get into the children. They were of different ages and they were wary of you. You started freeing the children that were chain or looked in cells and the things Hydra had done to these children was something you knew would haunt your dreams for a long, long time. You were so occupied with the children that you made a rocky mistake. Not keeping an eye on your surroundings. It seemed as out of nowhere two Hydra agents appeared. You needed to keep the children safe from the fighting and at the same time kick some Hydra ass. Your first priority was to make sure they did not use their guns, but they seemed to like the idea of being two men against a woman. The smirks they gave each other made your stomach turn, but you knew you could take them. You trained daily with the Black Widow and Winter Soldier. One of the men step forward and you get ready. The other man steps closer to the kids and you lash out trying to hit him. Something that the other man must have seen coming because he kicks you in the ribs. The pain radiates through your body, but you won't let them see how much hurt that kick did. You attack the man that was closest to the children and when you see the other man advance you drop down, so this time he kicks his friend. Then you turn around and hit him first with a fist to the face and then you kick his knee out. The pop tells you that you hit it well. You swirl around and kick the other man in the face. The man behind you kicks your feet out from under you and you know you are a sitting duck on the floor. You get a fist to your face and can taste the blood in your mouth. Then something shines to your left and you know one of them had a knife. Something clicks in your head when you hear the kids gasp and you roll out of the way from a knife that would have been pushed in your stomach if you laid still. It hurts but you manage to get to your feet. The man with the injured knee is still on the floor. You kick him quickly and he loses his conscious. Now it was you against the man with the knife. It would have been great if you had your gun, but the clip was empty. Another rocky mistake. You usually had enough ammo with you. This was only another evidence that you needed to leave the team. Steve was in your head and you here making mistakes. You run against the man and his knife comes up just barely scraping against your forehead as you duck. You box with your hand against his spleen and then you kick his knee.
"Y/N, status report," you hear Steve in your ear. You don't answer, but Steve must have heard something.
"Y/N, where are you?" is the next thing you hear from Steve. His voice was kind of squicky.
"Busy," you get out as you hoop out of the way from the knife. You tune out what Steve is saying in your ear, concentrating on the fight. The man advances against you and your focus is to get the knife away from him. A child screams, but you keep your eyes on the man and somehow, you don't really know-how. You manage to get the upper hand and the knife. You had used a move that Nat had taught you and it had worked perfectly. The man actually looks kind of scared. Then you kick his slean and then you hit his face in an upper-cut that makes him fall back. That is the moment that Steve runs into the room. He looks around and sees the men on the floor. You turn your back to Steve and smile at the kids.
"Shall we get out of here," you drop the knife to the floor. Maria and three of her men come into the room. Two kids come up to you and take your hand. Together you leave, without you saying another word. Well out of the facility you can see the big smiles on the children. Even if they were hurt they knew they were free now. It makes you smile as well.