Chapter Sixteen

_______________

Day of Wedding

_______________

I crouched in the corner of the room, staring at the hideous blue dress I had to wear.

“Come on, It aint that bad,” Tobiah said trying to coax me into it. I had one thing to say: H. E. Double hockey-stick no!

“It’s horrific.”

“Oh don’t get all dramatic,” Tobiah said tossing the dress back on the bed. He slipped on his blue suit jacket and fixed his silver tie.

“You look better in black,” I said peaking from behind the dresser. After I said it I wish I hadn’t, I just admitted that he looked good.

He laughed and combed his hair with his fingers. “You look better in red.”

I smiled. He just admitted that I looked good. I blushed a little; my face began to get hot. He laughed again and I blushed even harder.

“You remember the plan?” I asked.

“Mmhmm,” he said pinning a flower in his chest pocket.

“I was wondering…you said I looked good in red-“

He looked at me, a small smile forming. “I can help with that.”

***

I brushed back some curls and straightened my back. Tobiah had already gone, leaving me alone in a dress that made me look like a cupcake. The neck was weaved of gold and the belt gold too. Usually, I would have worn silver, but I figured that by the time they would see me, it would’ve been too late. I straightened the necklace of ash colored beads and replaced the halo of gold twisted vines on my head. I began feeling like Levi, wearing a halo that I probably shouldn’t- but then again- I was a queen. I figured that what was going to happen was for the best, for Cal and I and then also for Kade. No doubt that my actions at today’s event would put off this occasion for a while longer.

The hallways had been emptied. Every soul was sitting, waiting for Levi. I pressed closer to the shadows; I’ve found myself doing so more often. I don’t mind it, I tell myself.

Silver lights had been strung from wire and weaved through the hallways. The columns were adorned with silver metal vines, twisting and curving their way into what looked like a bare tree’s branches at the ceiling.

I had to say, it was truly beautiful, I think I would miss it.

I cursed the time for not going faster. The beauty of the palace couldn’t even hold me back.

I had visited Cal early with Nathaniel; skeleton keys had to be my favorite new thing. I was able to hold Cal, or let him hold me. He kissed me, and then got a little shy as he noticed his dad still standing a couple feet away.

Things were just coming together…I was just waiting for them to fall apart.

I walked back and forth, nervously kicking at any leftover pebble or dust bunny I would find. Then the first trumpet sounded, then another until the whole seemingly mile long trumpeters were playing.

They drowned out my steps as I ran towards the throne room. I quietly slipped in one of the side doors, one where Tobiah said he would be.

He stood there smiling, wearing a new suit; this time black. I took his hand and let him pull me into a side hug. “Ready for fun?” he whispered close to my ear.

“I’ll bring the fire.”

“I know you will,” he laughed again. I saw more of him laughing then quite hearing it. The trumpets drowned out about 99.9% of everything around us.