𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐡.

THE ONLY PLACE where Hermione knew she could go was Malfoy Manor. So she apparated there, and knocked gently on the door before breaking out into another fit of sobs. Then she reminded herself that she could not cry again in front of Draco. She wouldn't. When there was no answer, she composed herself, took a deep breath, and knocked again. Hermione clenched her other hand tighter around the small but endlessly large (thanks to a charm) purse that contained her suitcase and duffel bag.

The door opened, but revealed none other than Narcissa Malfoy, rather than the anticipated man. "Hermione Granger," she said in a rather questioning manner. "What brings you here?"

"I'm here to see Draco," said Hermione, stumbling on her words. She didn't expect this, even though she knew that Draco and his mother both inhabited the home, Lucius Malfoy surrendering the manor to them when he had been harassed about his decisions for too long.

Narcissa's face almost seemed to show concern for the frail, trembling girl outside the door. "Come in," she said finally, moving aside to let Hermione in. "He's not home right now. You can wait in the sitting room if you'd like to stay until he comes home." She motioned to an entryway in which Hermione went to. Gracefully placing herself on one of the ornate mint green couches, she hoped that Draco would be here soon. And she wondered why Narcissa was being so courteous. Pulling a novel out of her deceivingly spacious purse, Hermione decided to preoccupy herself in the meantime.

After what felt like maybe an hour, Hermione heard the doorknob turning. Instinctively, she sat up and closed her book, placing it back in the bag. Just as she had expected, Draco emerged from outside. He could see the sitting room from where he stood and immediately noticed Hermione. "Hermione, are you okay? Did you leave Ron? What happened?"

He sat down beside her and she sighed, ready to confess. "Well, he got home and I dropped the bombshell. He... seemed to be in disbelief," she had to pause to sniffle and wipe more tears away. "And I couldn't take it anymore. So I shoved all my important stuff into bags and came here."

"Sounds painful," he replied sympathetically. "Do you want to talk about it more?"

"Not really, I'd rather just forget about it for now. Anyways, where've you been today?"

Draco understood why she wouldn't want to discuss it. It was a touchy topic. "Out with Astoria Greengrass. She's nice, pretty too, but I'm not sure I would want to marry her."

"Then why would you go out with her?" Hermione asked, quickly assuming her position as the counselor.

"You think I really have a choice? Even though Voldemort is long gone, Slytherins still have their standards," he replied, malice in his tone but not malice towards Hermione. "Sorry, that came out wrong. I just meant that they still expect me to keep the bloodline 'pure,' even if I don't think that makes sense anymore."

Hermione did her best to offer a small smile. "I see. Well, maybe one day things will change."

This made Draco laugh. "As if. Do you want something to drink?"

"Just water, please," Hermione replied.

Rising from his seat, Draco went to the kitchen to find his mother waiting for him. She revised an eyebrow, shocked at his courteousness to the muggleborn girl. "You two seem to be getting on well."

"I'm not a silly third year anymore," Draco replies as he poured a glass of water for Hermione. "We've moved into from past grudges."

"Very mature of you," Narcissa said bluntly as she watched her son pour a second glass of water. "She seems to care about you."

"Well, we're friends, of course. It couldn't be romantic, not when she just ended a relationship," protested Draco as he picked up both glasses, one in each hand.

"Whatever you say, son."