𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝.

HERMIONE GRANGER WAS not who anyone would expect to fall apart in public. Especially not Draco Malfoy. In fact, he didn't suppose he'd see much of her at all after the Battle of Hogwarts. To see her openly sobbing made him cringe, for she had always been the most composed of the trio, and he felt an ounce of pity for the girl. What could possibly cause the Gryffindor Princess to cry alone in a muggle library?

Out of curiosity, and possibly also out of sympathy, Draco found his way over to the table she was at, and seated himself without permission. "Come to ridicule me?" the brunette asked, burying her head in her hands. She was utterly ashamed to be found in this distraught state by her childhood enemy.

"No," he replied tautly. "I was just wondering what caused you to break out in tears in the middle of a library." He felt too rigid while saying that, thinking he should've been softer as he spoke.

But then he was reminded that Hermione also had austere walls built up around her. "Why should I tell you that? I have no reason to trust you." Draco knew that Hermione was right, but didn't know what to do about it.

"What am I going to do? I don't want to be the same child I was at Hogwarts," he declared in a passive yet forceful voice, a colorless blend of his feelings.

Hermione scowled. "Oh, let's see, call me a Mudblood again? I know you, Malfoy." She spat the words at him with every bit of enmity within her, which was quite a lot, seen as she had been letting it build up over the past few years. Even if it wasn't all meant for him.

The words scalded Draco as he recalled the events with his ruthless aunt. He noticed Hermione apprehensively pull her sleeve further down. "I'm sure my words seem empty and meaningless, but I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that." He was wrong, though, because as they both paused and his speech reverberated throughout their heads, Hermione was grateful for the apology.

"It happened forever ago," she said stiffly, sitting up. "Just forget it. It's not even why I'm here like this." Draco nodded understandingly, noting not to revisit the past occurrences. "What brings you here?"

Though he knew it was a diversion from discussing her issues, Draco let it go. "My mother wants me to visit my father. I'm avoiding it. This place seemed sufficient enough to hide in."

"So you just happen to be here of all places in England?" Hermione wondered what had caused the two of them to collide again like this.

He shrugged, and his platinum hair glimmered in the faint winter light. "It appears so. If I'm being entirely truthful, I haven't minded talking to you. After having to spend so much time with family, it's nice to see someone else." The phrase was meant to be light and friendly, but it induced an unfamiliar flutter in Hermione's stomach.

"I'm glad I got to talk to you," she replied unsurely, testing the waters of kindness. "Good to know that you've changed." And he had changed, quite a bit. Gone was the childish boy who found joy at the expense of others, and here was a matured man who understood the importance of repentance and forgiveness.

Draco offered her an unintentionally curt smile. He reminded himself of the real reason he had come to talk to her. "So, really, what's upsetting you?"

Hermione contemplated a reply. She wanted to open up and trust someone, but why him? Why not him? "I don't know if I can trust you," she confessed. "I want to, I do, but I don't know if I can."

"I understand that," said the blond. "You don't have to tell me. But if you do then I won't tell Potter or Weasley." Hermione raised an eyebrow, surprised to hear him utter their actual last names rather than the crude nicknames.

"How did you know that I'm hiding my theoretical problem from them?"

It was a good question. But Draco had a keen eye. "Because you wouldn't be here crying all alone if you had talked to them."

"Fine. You've caught me, I have a secret that I refuse to tell my best friend and my boyfriend," said Hermione, though she stumbled on the final word. It hurt to lie to people about her feelings.

"What is it, then?" Draco pried, a bit too inquisitive.

Hermione sighed. She knew that one day she would have to come clean, and now was as good a time as ever. "I don't think I've loved Ronald in... years."

𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐋, a dramione short story जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें