t e n

Overcast skies were practically a given in West Ham Connecticut, and apparently in New Ham as well

Overcast skies were practically a given in West Ham Connecticut, and apparently in New Ham as well. Gray clouds shielded the sun from the earth's impurities nearly everyday; something Skyler initially found depressing following her move from the golden state of California. Eventually, she became accustomed to the bleak skies, and no longer payed much mind. The small town held its reputation. Good schools, rich families, infamous law firm; everything that made West Ham well thought of among Connecticut. All of which meant nothing now.

Orange and brown leaves drifted across the pavement as Helena and Skyler passed the Green, sights set on the church. The two had made plans to just sit and talk for a while, the future of New Ham weighing heavy on both of their minds.

"I thought Luke would've wanted to go on the expedition." Skyler looked over at the raven haired girl beside her. "You think he's still having some anxiety about Emily?"

"I don't know what's been up with him lately." Helena shook her head. "He came home a few hours ago saying that he was running for mayor."

"Seriously? I mean, I'm sure he'd be great but things are honestly working out fine the way they are." Skyler rolled her eyes as the two of them walked up the church steps.

"I thought so too." She nodded, gripping the door knob. "I don't even know why we're having this election."

The pair entered the church to find the building completely desolate aside from Elle Tompkins, who sat solemnly in the back row, her head hung low.

"Hey." Helena and Skyler approached the girl. "Want some company?"

"Uh...yeah, yeah, sure." She stammered, scooting over and allowing a space for both girls on either side of her.

"It's been kind of quiet in here since everyone got sick." Helena noted. All of the tables had since been moved out, and the decorations had been taken down. "I still think it's nice to pray with someone. Even if we're praying for different things."

Skyler's eyes fell to the sleeves of Elle's pink v-neck, small splotches of blood staining the material.  "What happened?" She reached for the girl's arm.

"No, I'm fine. I'm okay." Elle pulled her arm away, twisting the material the opposite way as her blue eyes glossed over.

"Elle, you're bleeding. Just let me see." Skyler pried, and in turn she just sighed heavily before lifting her sleeve to reveal a deeply carved branding that at first glance could be mistaken as a horseshoe. However, Skyler quickly found the mark to be a sideways C.

"What is that?" Helena's face displayed a look of horror.

"Campbell gave it to me." The blonde shakily admitted, pulling back down her sleeve.

"Did you want him to give it to you?" The raven haired girl questioned, and Elle shook her head; the tears from before welling in her eyes like an oceans tide.