1: Not Enough

Give me one reason to talk to him.

Just one.

It has to be good.

You don't have one.

Because even though he's sitting right across from you, being kind and complimenting your sweater, he's not a good person.

"Pen." He nudges my hand with his with a concerned look upon his gorgeous facade.

That's what it is. A facade.

I bite the inside of my cheek and keep my face straight and my fingers still. "Hey, are you alright?" Timothy asks. He slips his fingers through my mine and smiles. I blink and keep my hand still.

I knew-I knew-that just coming here would end up with disastrous consequences. I just wanted to get out and get a nice cup of tea and read a book. Do anything, anything at all to squish the house bug part of myself.

No friends.

A limited budget.

There wasn't much I could really do besides: cup of tea and a book.

So I dragged my ass down the cold streets of downtown Libertyville and entered the coffee shop. But, of course, there was Timothy and his friends.

"Pen, please talk to me." I looked down and clenched my jaw. "I'm sorry." He whispered so his friends couldn't hear that were a few tables away.

I pulled my hand away at that.

Sorry isn't really good enough when your boyfriend cheats on you multiple times with multiple girls.

S-O-R-R-Y just doesn't cut it.

Tim slowly dragged his hand back onto his lap and looked down at his hands in dismay. "I know-"

"You don't know. Don't feed me that crap." I spat. My face was hard and unchanging. Showing emotions wasn't really my thing, per say.

He looked up at me and and rolled his eyes. "What do you want me to say?"

I wanted to laugh, "I shouldn't have to tell you what to say. I actually don't want you to say anything to me." I lifted up my book.

Tim's are horrid people, Karen. I couldn't agree more. (A/N: The Third Eye reference just in case you didn't get that.)

Suddenly, my book disappeared and I growled in annoyance.

"Give it back!" I burst. My eyes were slits and my fists were clenched.

Tim shook his head and closed the book, fully aware that the page wasn't marked. "Pen, I'm sorry, okay? I shouldn't have cheated on you. It meant nothing." I threw my head back in laughter.

I wiped my eye, "Excuse me, but I have just heard the most ridicules words put together in a few sentences ever." I held out my hand, "Book." I demanded.

"Stop playing, Pen. I'm serious." Tim put the cover of the book under his blunt fingernails. He was nervous? Why the fuck should he be nervous?

It's not like his girlfriend fucked two other guys and then kept annoying him about it.

"I'm serious, too. I'm done talking with you." I stood up and threw my tea cup in the recycling bin. "Return the book to the school library for me." I started walking away. I opened the door and made a run for the park. The patter of footsteps behind me made my feet propel faster forward.

I wasn't exactly the fittest person, but I certainly could run. So run I did. I ran past shops on either side of me. I ran past the poor old homeless person that always asked for money. I ran until my legs hurt and my lungs burned. But I made it to the park just outside of town.