SEVENTEEN !

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
DOWNPOUR.

NANCY CHRISTIAN WAS broken to say the least.

following the events that took place that sluggish monday during school hours, she was heartbroken. not only had she broken up with her boyfriend, but she had hurt him and started a fight between two people she cared deeply for.

she was unsure how she allowed things to become such a mess. she never meant to get so attached to max's presence. she never meant to prefer his company than that of her boyfriends that she thought she loved.

and she did love him.

but she wasn't in love with him.

she had sorted through her feelings and she hated it.

she hated the feeling that crept into her stomach everytime his dark hazel eyes met her own. she hated the way she surrendered herself to him when he wrapped his arms around her. she hated the way she couldn't contain her giggles when he made the stupidest jokes only a child would laugh at. she hated it all.

because every time she allowed herself to enjoy these luxuries, the same thought remained in her mind.

it was just sex.

perhaps that's what she hated most. that no matter how close he was to her physically, his heart was with another and he was using her simply for pleasure.

she sighed, shaking away all the thoughts that were bogging her mind.

the seventeen-year-old sat on the porch of her house, wrapped up in a blanket as she watched the rain splatter onto the ground.

her eyebrows drew together as a familiar figure emerged through the heavy downpour and approached her drive. "mind if i sit?" he spoke, his voice gravelly as ever.

she flashed a small half smile to the boy and moved over so he could sit beside her. she opened up her arms and offered him half of the blanket that warmed her body, him accepting as he took a seat. no words came at first. the pair of secret lovers sat staring at the rain as it bounced onto the ground, feeling more awkward than they ever had done in each other's company before.

"how are you feeling?" nancy asked, breaking the silence as she noticed the scars covering the boys chiselled features.

"i'll be fine," max answered, "how are you?"

nancy shrugged. her pain was too large, too complex to fully explain, and she had brought it on all by herself. "he's right, you know."

his dark brows furrowed as he replied, "who?"

"jake. he's right. i am a slut. i just got caught up in this whole situation and forgot how much i was hurting him in the process," she honestly explained. "i'm a slut," she repeated.

max turned to face the red head as her eyes remained fixated on a puddle below, her delicate features coated in sadness, "what are you talking about? no, you're-"

"i am, max! i should have never let anything happen between us in the first place," nancy huffed, frustrated.

max couldn't deny that the words hurt him. he couldn't understand why but his heart froze as the words fell so carelessly from her lips. he enjoyed nancy's company, sure. but he didn't like her like that. did he? "you don't mean that-"

nancy turned to face him abruptly, "no, max, i do! if i'd have just stayed away from you that night after the party none of this would have happened. we wouldn't have caused so much damage," she sighed.

"what damage, nancy? i don't know what you saw today but jake didn't seem the slightest bit upset." max's voice now raised from that of an angry whisper to a louder volume, causing nancy to roll her eyes.

"what's that supposed to mean?" she scoffed.

max inhaled deeply, before exhaling in attempt to calm himself down before he grew too angry with the red head and hurt her more than he wanted to, "all i'm saying is, jake was angry. not sad. to me, it seemed like he cared more about damage to his reputation than the fact you actually cheated."

he wasn't wrong and nancy knew that. jake had always been caught up in keeping his peers thinking highly of him. everything he did revolved around that. throwing parties so people would notice him. getting a girlfriend as perfect and well mannered as nancy to make his life seem perfect. it all worked to boost his reputation.

"you don't know him," nancy replied despite max's words holding a great deal of truth. she turned back to look at her puddle which had grown in size since the last time she looked, the rain picking up pace.

"i have a good judge of character, and that guy is a dick."

nancy dodged the claim. "does grace know yet?" she asked.

max shook his head, causing her brows to furrow, "i mean, she does. i just told her they were rumours," he explained.

"that's not fair," nancy replied, anger present in her tone. "i'm left heartbroken but you get to act like nothing happened?" she would be lying is she said a small part of her didn't believe the truth would allow them to be together publicly. no sneaking around. no lies. just them. though at the same time, she knew her crush was unrequited.

max scoffed, "i'm not acting like nothing happened, nancy. she just doesn't deserve to get hurt."

nancy rolled her eyes, her orbs coating with sadness as she turned to face him, "and what? i do?"

"no!" max was quick to reply, understanding how his words must have sounded, "no, not at all. its just, i'm not ready to break up with her yet."

"i wasn't ready either, but i didn't get the choice," she scowled.

max sighed. he cared for nancy, truly. there was no denying that. he hated that they were in the position they were more than anything, and that he had been the one to insinuate it. he just couldn't help it. he felt an odd attraction towards nancy that he couldn't explain and was too afraid to give in to. "look, i'm sorry. i just need time."

"whatever," nancy replied bluntly.

max removed the half of the blanket that was covering his shoulder and placed it back onto hers, standing from his position next to her on the porch step. "see you free period?"

nancy shook her head, "i wouldn't count on it."

max's heart dropped, a sort of sickly feeling brewing in the pit of his stomach. "what do you mean?" he asked.

"i think we've caused enough trouble. it's best if we just stay away from each other," nancy explained, no hidden tones to her voice. the words came out with little emotion, her eyes not daring to meet his.

max opened his mouth to object, but knew she was right. he simply nodded in agreement, "okay then. goodbye, nancy."

and with that, the red head watched the brunette disappear into the harsh downpour.

NOTE! this sucks ah. my writing is just meh and i dnt like it eek. anwayyysss!
thank you to everyone who wished me good luck
for mocks <33 they do be kinda kicking my ass and
many breakdowns have taken place but here
we are one week in and thriving for week two.
let me know whatcha thinkk !!
x, amelia