Fourteen

The morning had been unbelievably slow. Time looked as though it had stopped and the hands on the clock always seemed to be pointing at the same numbers no matter how long it felt since she had last looked at it.

The past few days had been like this. The anniversary from when Jake went missing came and went - exactly like he had just a few days ago. For a brief moment she felt as though he had come back home and that she could pick herself back up from the floor but as quickly as he appeared in the first place, Jake was gone again in the time it took for her to have a conversation with the lieutenant.

So the past few days had dragged. The apartment had been eerily quiet and the precinct was no better. The detective squad, as well as her own squad, were on eggshells around her, seeming to wait until she cracked in front of everyone.

But she was managing to hold it together - at work anyway. The quiet apartment endures the wrath of her frustration and cries about what had happened earlier that week. There might have even been a few holes in the wall she had somewhat successfully filled from the early search whenever the guy doing this got away.

If only Jake had left a statement or his number, even a small clue on where the fuck he was living, it would have been so much easier. But no, she's clueless and had practically given up.

At this point she keeps telling herself that Jake didn't actually walk into the precinct, that after she called Terry to say she wasn't going in that day she had gone back to bed and had fallen asleep and had a dream about that instead - the fact that Jake had wandered into the precinct couldn't possibly be true, it's just not possible.

So as she sat at her desk watching the seconds tick by slowly, she sat back in her chair and sighed.

She gives a subtle look to her computer before looking straight back to the clock.

Her long stare to the clock was suddenly broken by one of her officers approaching her desk. They don't hesitate before they speak to her. "Terry's just called from upstairs, says there's someone to speak to you - something about there being someone with intel about your husband."

Amy's eyes widen as she gets up from her desk and runs up the stairs to the fourth floor - the elevator would take too long.

When she reaches the bullpen, it feels like deja vu as she sees Jake standing back in the bullpen.

"What the hell?" Amy asks as she walked into the bullpen and approached the man stood staring around.

Terry interrupts. "He's back!" He cheers hesitatingly whilst walking over to the two people stood in the middle of the bullpen.

Amy sneers. "Yes thank you, Terry, I can see that," she replies sarcastically whilst keeping her eyes trained on her husband, "But why did he leave, that's what I wanna know." She adds, giving Jake a look she gives perps in an interrogation room.

He pauses, looking to Amy's face with a questioning gaze before he swallows as she takes a stern step forward. "I had to, he wanted me back." Jake replies.

"Who wanted you back?" Amy asks, her face getting straighter with every ticking second.

"Dad-" He answers quickly before shaking his head, "-I mean Curtis."

The sergeant's face falls as she steps back out of her husband's space. It takes her a moment to speak again but when she does her voice is quiet and low. "Curtis Garner?"

Jake pauses for a moment before nodding his head slowly. "Yeah."

"That's him, that's the guy that did all of this." Amy sighs, turning around and walking back toward the gate.