Taming the Beast (Young Remus Lupin)

Well done to those that guessed that this one shot is about our darling baby Remus John Lupin! I hope you enjoy it, my darlings!

I was different, that much I knew. For one, I was, what seemed to be, the only member of Slytherin House that didn't have an inclination towards the Dark Arts and second of all, I was different. I have control of when I become what I am, but it still doesn't mean it's much fun. It was a curse placed on my family centuries ago, the eldest female child in my family has the ability to become a Augurey.

I sighed as I flew over the Forbidden Forest, my curse could be a blessing at times especially when I wanted a break. My usually blonde hair lightened the typical Augurey greenish-black coat a little and my eyes were the same colour but that was the only thing that tied me to my form.

I basked in the glow of the full moon but as I did so, movement in the forest caught my eye. I dived down to see the unusual sight of a stag, dog and werewolf. I landed in the clearing and stared at them in curiosity, it was a rather unusual combination but that was when I saw the markings around the stag's eyes, similar to the ones that McGonagall's glasses leaves when she's in her cat form, but distinct none the less, everyone knew about James Potter and his square glasses. I saw the same glint of mischief in the dog's eyes that was commonly seen in Sirius Black as I looked closely, the rat seemed to mimick the nature of one Peter Pettigrew. I looked for another creature that would remind me of Remus Lupin but that's when it hit me.

Remus was the werewolf.

I grinned as I heard Potter and Black's conversation, the 13 year old boys really were clever, I would give them that.

I didn't think the Marauders were ones for last night escapades

I thought and laughed when I saw the stag and dog begin to look around frantically, so I swooped down to land on a boulder that was in the clearing.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but Potter is the stag, Black is the grim hound, Pettigrew the rat and Lupin the wolf?

The stag dipped it's head in acknowledgement.

Don't worry, I won't tell anybody about Lupin's condition. Good evening, boys.

I prepared to fly away but Potter called out to me.

Wait! Who are you?

That's for you to figure out.

I launched into the night sky, flying back towards the castle.

****

It didn't surprise me when a few days later, I was joined by the Marauders in the library. I didn't look up from my Charms essay as I greeted them.

"Afternoon, boys,"

"You're the Augurey, aren't you, Carlisle?" Black asked sitting across from me.

"Yes, a curse was placed on my family which means that the eldest female born to the family has the ability to become an Augurey. It's similar to the animagaus transformation, I can control when I become an Augurey but sometimes the Augurey takes over and I have no choice." I explained.

"Do you cry when it rains?" Black asked.

I laughed. "No, but I'm not particularly fond of the weather."

"How can you be so accepting of the monster that I am?" Lupin asked quietly.

"Because I know what it's like to not be in control." I told him.

Lupin gave me a small smile.

"So, do you need help with the Charms essay or were you just here to ask me about my condition?" I asked with a smile.