Chapter Three

Stephen Prendergast unknotted his tie for the umpteenth time. Nothing seemed to be going as planned this evening. Firstly the ice-sculpture, the focal centre-piece of the entire party, had arrived with a broken arm, and then the local bakery had failed to send the correct amount of pathetically pretentious teeny-tiny cakes Simon had ordered pre-death. Stephen flung his tie across the room just as there was a knock at his bedroom door. 

'The family are starting to arrive. They are early.' The pretty, young assistant housekeeper popped her head around the door. 'Shall I show them into the billiard room to wait for you? Harriet is finishing the decorations in the Grand Hall.' 

'No, Alyona, take them straight into the Grand Hall. I will be down very shortly.' 

Alyona's pale eyes sparkled as her gaze fell upon the crumpled tie on the floor. 'Shall I help you with your tie?' Her footsteps were silenced by the dense pile of the pure-wool carpet as she hurried across the room and retrieved the hand-woven silk tie. 

Stephen smiled. 'What would I do without you, Alyona? My life has been so much easier since you entered it.' 

Alyona gestured for Stephen to face away from her. Even in her sensible work footwear she was of equal height to her employer. Carefully, she slid the tie around the collar of his Egyptian cotton shirt and deftly formed a perfect Pratt Knot. 

'Thank you, my darling.' Stephen smiled in approval at his reflection. 'You are very excellent with your hands.' 

Alyona flinched minutely as Stephen's hands stroked her blouse covered shoulders. 'If that is all, I will leave you to put on your jacket,' her voice was sharpened by the clipped tones of her Russian accent. 

Stephen smiled. 'Simon always said how your complexion reminded him of a porcelain doll. So perfect.' He lightly touched her cheek with a fingertip wondering if his boy had ever managed to lay his hands on her perfection. 

Alyona lifted her chin. 'Have an enjoyable evening, Sir.' She turned quickly and departed from the room without looking back. 

'Oh, Simon, my dear boy,' Stephen said to the empty room. 'And now you've left the delectable Suzy all alone and I will have to ensure she isn't lonely.' 

* * * 

Suzy, thinking about the Prendergast Pre Christmas party while languishing in rose-scented bubbles in her bath, decided she definitely wouldn't go. Last year's, attended with Simon, had been a whirl of dancing, laughter, and champagne quaffing. She just didn't feel in the mood for celebrating this year.  

Holding her breath, she slipped her head under the water, enjoying how her hair lifted and bobbed. Popping her head back up, she reached for the matching rose scented body-wash and generously slathered it on. Simon had adored the delicate fragrance, often telling her she smelt good enough to eat. Suzy laughed, the sound echoing in the room, and wondered whether Nathaniel had used the exact same scent.  

No, she couldn't attend the party. All of the gossips would be there, including her nasty cousin Siobhan. It was far easier to stay at home and lay in the bath until her fingertips resembled prunes. She jumped at a knock on the bathroom door. 

'Can you hurry up?' Arabella, her mother, called. 'You've been in there for half an hour already!' 

Suzy remembered such moans from when she was a teenager. 'You just want someone to talk to, I know you!' 

Arabella rattled the door handle. 'Open the door then and I'll come in to talk to you, like we used to when you were younger.' 

Suzy grinned despite herself; hours of chatting had passed between mother and daughter in the bathroom. Nostalgia forced her from the bath and she padded to the door, flipping the latch and allowing Arabella to slip into the room.