ten years after

the future:

closing her eyes as she put her head outside the car window, a breath of nostalgia whooshing back towards her. It gave her an odd, chilly feeling in her spine. The familiar scent of fresh air and clean cut grass. It was the same miniscule town, same blue sky, same flat concrete pavements, same busy, friendly people.

but the bittersweet aftertaste was lingering through that sudden breath of wind.

The baby's coos interrupted whatever thoughts she was thinking. She started to wonder if he knew what this day was.

A soft voice interrupts her thoughts, "hey neens? you slept for a bit. you okay?" ej asks while looking out at the road.

"never felt better. god that was a delicious nap." she stretches like a cat as she grins, "surely we're almost there."

"hmm I think so.."

"why do I ever trust you to drive ej? you were never good at directions in high school, and you haven't gotten any better since then." she shook her head.

"hey, hey, I was the first person to get a car!"

"doesn't mean you're a good driver bud. just means you're very very old." she taps his nose and then squeals, "oh we're here!! I guess maybe you do know your directions sometimes, ej."

"yeah that's what i thought." he puffs his chest like a proud turkey.

"oh look, there's kourt, gina, ash, big red..AWH look at seb and carlos! aren't they engaged now?"

ej nods, smiling at the overly enthusiastic nini.

"hey uh, i'll go get the baby, you can go greet them, kay?" he gestures.

"YAY! thank you love." she wraps her arms around his neck and pulls away but he keeps them  in a tight embrace.

"i love you, neens." his voice muffled in the crook of her neck.

"i love you very much, ej." nini plants a kiss on the top of his forehead and opens the car door.

"damn. took y'all long enough." kourtney raises a brow.

"hey at least give ej some credit here! i didn't help him with directions for the whole trip." 

"wow, so proud of him.." ashlyn laughs, "where is that idiot anyway?"

"im here, just grabbing the baby!" yells ej from the backseat.

"omg i wanna see himm!!" gina squealed while jumping and clapping her hands, her curly brown hair bouncing with her.

"i go and have a child and you guys get more excited over it than when you meet up with for the first time in years."

"oh come on neens, we could never replace you, you'll always be the baby of our group." carlos said as they all grouped up into a hug.

"the kid can just be our mascot!" seb added cheerfully.

ej walks toward them, struggling not to squish the tiny baby with his big arms. everyone looks at the two with heart eyes.

"okay, maybe i do want a child." ashlyn said.

"literally no. we'd have too many ed sheeran's in this group." big red shook his head.

the group turned to the baby.

"he inherited ejs eyes, they're so beautiful." kourt remarks.

"thank god he didn't get the rest of ej's genes though, i really don't wanna deal with another ej in my life." ashlyn teased while ej rolled his eyes.