Apple Of Her Eye

One day, a mother went out to the market. She wanted to buy fruits for her newborn baby. The shelves were filled with bananas, cherries, pears, strawberries and so on. Despite such variety, the fruits had, to her, a big flaw: they looked too ripe, almost as if they reached their expiration period. She could not risk feeding her son something that would damage his health. 

   The mother searched from shelf to shelf and when she was ready to give up and try someplace else, she saw a box full of apples laying on the very last shelf. The apples were big and coloured in bright red. "Finally, a fruit that looks decent," she thought. The mother bought the whole box pleased and went home with it. To her surprize, when she started peeling and cutting one of the apples, she saw the interior was spoiled. "No worries, I have a whole box of them." She said to herself. She peeled apple after apple; all were the same. 

   When she was done with all the apples, and the box was empty, she realized she'd been tricked. No wonder the salesman smiled when he saw her with the box in her hands. He was happy to get rid of it. Not to mention that it explained why all the riped fruits were displayed first, and not the good looking ones.

   She learned a valuable lesson that day: never judge a book by its cover, and an apple by its skin.