Chapter Two: Destruction

Start from the beginning

"Chloe? What are you doing up there?" David's gruff, untrusting tone called from down the stairs.

"Cocaine," I replied sarcastically.

"Chloe!" He burst into my room. "Your jokes aren't funny, and you're not allowed to do drugs up here."

"Okay I'll do them at the junkyard. Sweet." I blew the smoke from my weed in his direction, hoping to piss him off. It was kind of a hobby of mine, to piss David off.

"You already know you can't smoke pot." He angrily replied, and snatched my joint out of my hands.

"I can and I will. I'm nineteen, you're not my fucking boss, David."

"This is my house, and you will follow the rules." He bellowed.

"Your house?" I scoffed. "This is my dads house. And my moms. Not yours."

"Chloe I'm sick of your snark and shit! You will behave, got it?" He looked as red as a tomato.

"All I 'got' was that you're a limp dick asshole who needs to stop pretending he's got any power over me." I challenged him.

"You're not allowed to use your truck. You're grounded." Was all he said, his voice dripping with anger.

"Dad, is that you? Oh wait, you're dead and I'm nineteen, so I don't have to follow step dildo's rules."

"Chloe Price! Enough! I will be talking to your mother about this." He stormed out of my room, my joint in his hand.

"Fuck off man." I sighed and drifted off to sleep in my bed, tired from the weed.

                     x-x-x

We were under a streetlight, in the dark, alone. Rachel held my hand tightly in hers, and we walked in silence together. I was dreaming of that night four years ago, the night after we had both performed in The Tempest.

"I know you're not real," I broke the silence. "But I really miss you Rachel."

"I miss you too Chloe. And we'll see each other again. I promise." She turned to face me.

"Don't make promises you can't keep."

"Chloe, I'm being serious. This may be a dream, but it's a sign. We will see each other again, I just don't know how far from now."

"I could die and find out."

"Enough with the morbid jokes Chloe."

"This is my favourite memory we have together," I admitted as I held up my hand to catch the ash.

"Mine too. And we're going to make more." Rachel copied my action.

"I'm not interested in making memories with your corpse, Rachel."

Rachel chuckled. "With living, breathing, me."

"Not possible, but okay." I shrugged.

"You think it isn't possible, but it is." She raised her eyebrows.

"Rachel, you're dead. This is just a dream, you're a figment of my imagination, as much as I wish for it to not be true." I shook my head and turned away from her.

"That's what you think." She said quietly. I turned around to face her, and scoffed. "So you're alive then?" She just shrugged in response.

"This fucking sucks! It should've been me instead of you." I angrily shouted, and kicked a small rock.

Rachel placed her hand on my arm. "I love you Chloe." She said, and wrapped me into a hug.

"I love you too." I said, my voice cracking, and I buried my head in her shoulder.