Chapter 15

Rita dropped Trinity off at Levi's doorstep, waiting long enough for Levi to open the door before, with a honk of the horn and a wave, she left.

"Come on, I'll show you your room," Levi said as he closed the door behind her.

"You don't have to do this, Levi. If Christopher had wanted to get to me, he could have done it long before now." Trinity stopped and looked up at Levi.

"I know, but humor me. I'll sleep better knowing you're here and safe." Something in Levi's tone made Trinity's tummy quiver. It was nice that he cared about her.

She nodded, and he smiled. "Come on," he said as he led the way up the stairs. When they reached the landing, it continued the width of the house. It looked as if there were four bedrooms, one on each corner of the house.

Levi went straight and pushed open the door to the right. "This is yours. There is a private bathroom. I'm right across the hall."

Trinity walked into the room. It was spacious, and there were large windows that ran along the back of the room. The wood floor was covered with a lovely rug in pale blue and beige, and the colors were mimicked throughout the room. It was a very calming effect.

"I'll be downstairs working on dinner. Once you've settled in, you can join me."

Trinity watched the door close behind him and sat heavily on the bed. She felt more awkward than when they had shared the hotel room. She felt as if she didn't have a choice in being there, and that she was invading his privacy.

The phone Levi had given her buzzed,  and she reached in her purse to see who it was, thankful for the distraction.

'A wise woman once told me that a little side action never hurt.' Ben's text read

Trinity choked a little as she read the words. Had she really said that? It didn't sound like her.

'Did I really?"

She waited patiently.

'You did, you also said that you were worried about me, that I had been faithful to Illianna even though she didn't deserve it. Christopher doesn't deserve it either. Have a fun sleepover!'

'I remember what you said to!' Trnitiy recalled the conversation they had had. It was the night she had met Lia and witnessed the sparks between them.

'What was that?'

'Ewwwww.' She typed back.

Ben sent her a whole bunch of totally inappropriate emojis and signed off with a laughing one. 

Trinity gave a hiss of exasperation at her brother's antics. He always wanted to get the last word. It must be the writer in him. Knowing that she was probably going to be emotionally uncomfortable all evening she decided that she might as well be physically comforatable so she changed into some blue jeans and a sweater, letting her hair down and taking out her contacts, trading them for her glasses.

"Four eyes," she said, sticking her tongue out at her reflection. If she was honest with herself, she was nervous to be alone with Levi, to let him see the real her.

When she entered the kitchen a few minutes later, Levi looked up from the cutting board, taking his time looking at her.

"I'm always seeing new sides of you. I like it." He smiled gently.

Trinity blushed and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Would you like to help?" he asked, holding out the knife.

"Sure," Trinity said, walking towards him, aware of his eyes on her every step. When her hand brushed his as she took the knife, she felt it all the way to her toes. He didn't step back right away. Instead, Levi reached around her and pulled the vegetables he wanted her to chop towards her, his arm and chest brushing her shoulder, making her more aware of him than ever before.

Damn Ben!

Levi stepped away from her and moved towards the stove. "Did Ben catch you up on the possibility that your ex has been tracking you?"

Trinity focused on chopping and heard the sizzle as meat hit the pan. "Yes." If he wanted more he wasn't going to get it. "Can we talk about work or something else, please?"

"Alright," Levi agreed, before launching into what she wanted to see in the employee they hired to replace Dorthy.

That got them through a few minutes until he directed her to bring the vegetables to him. He stood back enough for Trinity to step in front of him and rake them off of the cutting board and into the pan, but he kept his one hand stirring the vegetables causing her shoulder to brush his chest once again.

"This should only take a few more minutes. Why don't you grab us some drinks and plates," Levi suggested as she stepped away from the brief contact.

Trinity nodded and did as he asked, glad to be able to keep her hands busy.

"Do you enjoy cooking?" Trinity asked, watching him as he served.

He smiled. "Sometimes. When Josiah and I shared the house, we would take turns, and that made a nice change. It's not so much the cooking I mind as  trying to figure out what to cook."

"I thought Josiah still lived here?" Trinity raised her head and looked at him.

"No, there is a guest cottage about a hundred yards behind the house. He lives there. He moved out after his mother died."

Something in Levi's voice made Trinity stop eating and look at him. It wasn't lost on her that he had referred to his wife as Josiah's mother and not his wife.

"You loved her very much, didn't you?" Trinity asked softly.

"No, I didn't love her at all," Levi said, setting his fork down.

"No?" Trinity looked at him with wide eyes. "But everyone says that you two were crazy about each other."

"No, my wife, Constance, and I barely even spoke towards the end. When she got sick, she refused to see me, and Josiah moved in to help care for her."

Trinity wanted to ask so many questions, but she was afraid he would refuse to answer them.

Levi watched her emotions playing across her face, she was easy to read. "I'll answer your questions, Trinity, if you answer a few of mine." He took a sip of his water, watching her try to decide if she wanted to play that game.

"Questions about what?" she whispered.

"Anything and everything. No limits." Their eyes met, and Trinity felt her heart rate pick up at the thought of the questions he might ask, but then she could ask any questions she wanted too, but did she dare?

Trinity wanted to open up and talk to someone, and she knew she could trust him, but would he look at her differently when he knew about her failed marriage and how she felt about herself? What if she found out something about him she didn't like?

"It's a risky business, do we take the chance?" He reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I think we both have trust issues, we've been hiding our secrets for so long it's a habit, but I trust you, Trinity."

"I trust you too, Levi," She said nervously licking her lips.

Levi's gaze dropped to her mouth, and she saw his eyes darken in response.

"Is that a yes?"

"Alright," she agreed.

He suddenly stood, picking up their plates. "Let's clean up the dishes. Then we can make some coffee and talk in the living room."

Trinity nodded, wondering why she had agreed and to and if she could go through with it.