Chapter 4 - The Disgruntled Son

River was looking out over the parapet, trying and failing to hide the disgust on his face. His father, Governor Jung, was standing off to the left, a satisfying grin from ear to ear as he looked out over the fields his workers were cultivating. Having only just learned about the source of those workers, River was trying hard not to storm off, or worse, punch his father square in the nose. It was morally wrong, invading the marshlands and capturing innocent swampfolk, forcing them to work in the fields.

All his father had to do was report back to the King and lie about how his new prisoners were encroaching on his lands.

"I can't believe this," River mumbled to himself before he realized he'd spoken out loud.

"What's that?" his father barked. "Speak up if you're going to talk to me."

"I said this is great, father. Just great."

"Do you really think you can hide your disdain from me? You don't have half the skill your mother does."

"She's also been around you longer," he countered with a smirk.

Walking up to River, Governor Jung was an intimidating presence. Large and stocky, his black hair was pulled back in a bun, his gold and grey attire a gaudy sign of his wealth. Even if River wanted to grab him by the coat and toss him over the wall, he wasn't strong enough to do it. And with his luck, his father would survive the drop. His slave-owning father. 

"Look, son. I didn't tell you all this to upset you. I told you because it's important that you know how things operate around here. So that I can count on you, when the time comes. Perhaps you'd like to join one of the expeditions? I'll be sending out another next week."

As the Governor spoke, lines of workers were streaming through the gate. The swampfolk were motioned off to the left. Humans to the right. Even the humans looked to be in a sad state. Frail and pitiful, with metal collars and shackles around their wrists and ankles. 

"Why are they being split up?" River asked, realizing how relieved most of the humans appeared as they were directed in the opposite direction of the swampfolk.

"The monsters sleep in the stables. Humans get rooms."

"You can't be serious?" River shouted. "How inhumane can you be? They're people!"

"Inhumane? People? Look at them, River. Those aren't people. They're animals." Stepping closer with eyes ablaze, the Governor placed a firm hand on River's shoulder, shoving him against the parapet and pointing at one of the male satyrs coming in. "You like men, right? Would you want that thing trying to kiss your face?"

"That's several steps over the line," River grimaced, his chest hurting from being shoved against the stone wall.

"No, what's over the line is you questioning how I tend to the lands given to me by the King. Continue to do so, and I'll send you right back to the city where you can spend the rest of your summer with mommy dearest. I'm sure she'd love to continue torturing you."

If there was one person River despised more than his father, it was his mother. She was the very definition of cruel. Her vile treatment of staff and people in general is what caused River to write to his father. To request that he be able to spend his last summer before university at the southern manor. Mother hated the countryside and sun, so River knew there was no chance she'd tag along. Besides, all her escorts and favored servants were in the city, and father would have had them executed the minute they set foot on the property.

As the Governor took his hand off River and walked away with a huff, River noticed a young worker walking below. A human with blond hair and fair skin who had to be around the same age as him. Covered in dirt,  with worn clothes and a large woven basket on his back, he was still incredibly handsome. So much so that River continued to stare even after the young man turned and made eye contact.