Chapter 19

My mom drove Celine and I home that morning. She asked me so many questions about my ghost friends.

"Can they go through walls?"

"No, actually. But they can flatten themselves out and stretch and stuff like that. Like Flat Stanley." I explained.

"And this Collin guy, his legs were completely shattered? Does he walk?"

"Nah, he floats."

"Floats? Ooh. Cool. What about the others?"

"Well, Mabelle is completely blind and has a cane. And Samantha is perfectly fine other than her hands."

"Samantha seems interesting. She's very pretty. But I can imagine she's actually an elderly woman, yeah?"

"Sort of. They appear as the age they were when they died. For Mabelle, it'd be about 70, and the others were in their 20s I think. Ghosts age weird."

"I didn't even know they aged. Do they still breathe?"

"No. But they're still walking and talking. It is kinda weird, but I like them. They're a fun bunch."

My mom smiled at me through the mirror. "I'm happy you have new friends. You too, Celine."

"Thanks, Ms. Jacobs." Celine said, grinning.

"Please, call me Marjorie, hun."

Celine nodded, and looked out the window. I glanced over at her and placed my hand on hers, looking away and pretending I didn't notice. She chuckled, and gladly took my hand in hers.

We made it home safely. I immediately ran to the couch and plopped down. "Home sweet home!"

"Devon, you need breakfast." My mom said, heading to the kitchen.

"Nah, I just wanna lay here."

Celine chuckled and literally laid on top of me, making me grunt in pain. "Tackle time! One, two, three!"

"Noooo!" I faked a scream and laughed.

"Finish him!" Celine yelled in a deep voice while beating me over the head with a pillow.

"Hey kiddos, you want pancakes?"

"Yeah!" We both said.

"Where's Sabertooth?" Celine asked, getting off of me and laughing. "I wanna go see her!"

"Hey mom, is Saber in my room?"

"Yeah, she's on your bed. Probably sleeping. You kids be careful, okay?" My mom said. I definitely smelled the familiar smell of blueberry pancakes in the morning.

We rushed to my room, and I dramatically kicked open the door, waking up Sabertooth who was sleeping soundly on my pillow. "SABER!" I exclaimed, going over to cuddle with her.

"Hiya, Sabey." Celine cooed, scratching Sabertooth on her head.

A single tear ran down my cheek. "I missed you so much, girl."

Sabertooth purred, rubbing against me. She knew something had happened.

Celine looked into my eyes and smiled. "Everything okay, Devon?"

I sat Sabertooth down on my bed and nodded. "Yeah. I'm okay. Still a bit shaken up, though."

"Me too. At least I'm with you now."

I smiled as she planted a kiss on my cheek. I could've sworn my heart skipped a beat.

"Thanks, Celine. I'm just really glad you're alive."