Fired Up

Bucky and I were walking to history together when the Zombie Alarm rang

"Go to the Zombie Safe room! I'll meet you there" he hollered, pushing me in the direction of the room.

He was probably off to find Addison or the rest of the cheer girls.

I took his advice and began speed walking towards the room. "Addison!" I called out, seeing my sister walking in the same direction.

"Hey" she said, giving me a quick hug before we entered the room.

"We'll be ok in here" I reassured her before she pointed out a dark figure in the corner of the room. My protective instincts kicked in and I stepped in front of her, my hands at my side.

"Hello?" I asked, staring at the figure.

"Hello" he said back.

"Who are you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"I'm Zed, we met earlier" he recalled and I nodded, stepping back alongside my sister.

"Oh right you're the-" before the words could escape my mouth, Addison was talking.

"Don't get any ideas buster. Touch my sister and you'll hurt" she remarked, making a smile appear on my face. "The only thing deadlier then her high kick is her low kick" I informed, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Zed, this is my sister. Addison, meet Zed" I spoke up, deciding not to tell her that he was a zombie.

Let's see how this goes.

"I'm sorry. This isn't how I was expecting my first day of school to go" he admitted, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck.

"You weren't expecting to be in a zombie-safe room?" she remarked.

He began walking down the side of the room and Addison mimicked him, trying to get a closer look.
"So I'm not getting a low kick?" he joked, making her giggle and me smile.

They had a connection.

I could tell.

"You're safe, for now" she joked.

"I can't be injured for try out day. Football is the big dream" he said and her eyes widened.

"Really? I'm trying out for cheerleading today" she said shyly, making me roll my eyes. "Correction, you'll be making the cheerleading team today" I exclaimed, leaning against one of the metal bed posts.

"Well Zed, fingers crossed" she said happily, watching him slowly step into the light.

And there he was.

In all his zombie glory.

Her hand shot up and slapped him, leaving a small red print on his face.