16 | the circle of idiots

┏ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┓
chapter sixteen!
THE CIRCLE OF IDIOTS
┗ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┛

┏ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┓chapter sixteen!THE CIRCLE OF IDIOTS┗ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┛

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

OUT OF ALL THE people Ares had expected to team up with, Blake, Jasper, and Raven hadn't been on the list. Their group is a ragtag one full of people who barely get along. Ares and Raven are pretty much on each other's good sides, but Jasper doesn't know when to shut up sometimes, and Ares and Blake are like a powder keg about to explode. Their leader doesn't seem to get along very well with Raven, either. Jasper is there because he'd been decent with a gun in training and had knocked the Grounder out during their trip to save Collins.

All-in-all, it makes for a very interesting venture through the forest.

It's dark without the aid of torches, meaning they have to be extra careful where they step. Jasper has already narrowly avoided walking into four trees. The ground dips and rises at random, making Ares' ankles ache when he steps into a sudden ditch, the faint cover of moonlight barely helping them along as it pokes through the treetops. The abundance of shadows cast by the trees aids them; they use the darkness to their advantage so it's more difficult to see them.

About twenty minutes out from camp, Blake abruptly stops. He signals for the others to do the same and scoops up a handful of the expired rations that had made everyone hallucinate– Clarke's clue for them. He glances forward, eyes scanning the nearby terrain for any other signs. "At least they're good for something."

"Sorry about bringing up Clarke earlier," Jasper says to Raven with a nervous chuckle. "That was awkward."

"Shut up," she fires back.

"Both of you shut up," Blake orders like an exasperated parent trying to discipline his children. "Keep your eyes open."

Ares bites back the retort, "Yeah, because I was really considering keeping them shut," because he knows how important their silence is. Talking increases their chances of being discovered, which will put all of their lives at risk. Plus, with the entire camp still partying, a Grounder could easily be sent to kill them all if they're caught.

Raven rolls her eyes at Blake's order but keeps her lips sealed. One of her hands carelessly grips onto the strap of the bag she has on her back, the other holding her rifle. Like Ares, she seems to have completely lost whatever sense of glee she'd been experiencing barely half an hour ago at the Unity Day party. Her lips are twisted in a frown, a deep chasm between her eyebrows.

Ares' mouth is twisted into a deep scowl as he walks. He glowers at every tree that emerges from the shadows as if it's their fault for being in his way if he has to dodge them. Though he wouldn't tell anyone, part of him secretly hopes that this meeting will go awry so he hadn't brought his gun for nothing. He could use a bit more adrenaline to keep himself going tonight, especially since it doesn't seem like he's going to get any sleep.