Chapter Three: Cookies

I couldn't even remember the last time I had taken a hot shower. It had to have been before all of this shit. They even had conditioner. The bathroom was small and gross but it was better than nothing. The shower had not been part of the original bathroom design. It was cornered between the toilet and the sink. And it didn't match the rest of the bathroom. But it was something.

       Sue called from the other side of the door "Are you almost done, sweetie? You can't take too long in there." I had finished my shower a few minutes ago, I was just enjoying the hot water.

        "Okay, thank you!" The shower was refreshing and calming. I wasn't freaking out about Sue and Joe and whoever else lived here. I wasn't freaking out about some cookies. I wasn't worried where I would stay for the night. Sue and Joe had already offered for me to stay.

        Once out of the shower, I changed into some new clothes that Sue had placed outside the door. A dark green t-shirt, socks, and jeans. I kept on the shoes that I had ever since this shit storm started, my black boots. They worked well, my feet were warm and never wet. 

        As I left the bathroom I saw people scurry away at the end of the last aisle. 

        "How was it? Refreshing?" Sue prompted, coming out of nowhere. Getting a closer look at her, she had dark green eyes, thin lips that were pulled into a smile and a jagged scar coming down from behind her hairline near her temple to her jaw. You could tell she had used scar cream on it, it was only a thin pink line. It was kind of scary, it looked like someone sliced her face wide open. 

        "Uh... It was good. Nice. I'm surprised you guys still have hot water." I asked trying not to seem like I was just staring at her huge scar. She didn't seem to notice me gawking and started walking toward the front of the store, I assumed she wanted me to follow.

        "So, how many of you are there? I drove by earlier and saw quite a few."

        "Why don't you meet them all, and then you can see for yourself? Dinner should be coming along soon."

        "Dinner? What are you having?"

        "We will be having spaghetti. Do you like tomato sauce?" She questioned.

        "I like any food at the moment." I said with a slight laugh to myself.

        "Good. Any allergies?"

        "Uh, nope. Are you the only ones in town because I saw-"

        "Hello, who is this?" A young girl had walked around the corner and blocked me from Sue. She seemed younger than me, but she was muscular and it was evident. She must work out or something. Given that she lives here where food is very available and everything seemed perfect, I wouldn't doubt it. Her long dark hair was pulled away from her tanned face. Her amber brown almond shaped eyes narrowed at me and turned her already upturned nose up at me.

        "None of your business at the moment, Mina. Go on, I'm sure you could be of some use in the kitchen?" Sue questioned her as if she was her mother. It worked, 'Mina' was on her way quickly, pouting at Sue and then glaring at me.

        "Don't you worry about her, she is wary of newcomers. She'll warm up real quick, though." Sue finished with a smile.

        "Is she your daughter?" Mina looked absolutely nothing like Sue, but there was always a possibility.

        "I wish, she is a wonderful girl... No, we knew of each other before this all happened - we both lived in Liberty - but until a few months ago, we had never even thought of speaking to each other. I guess you could say I adopted her after it started." She stared in the direction Mina walked off and then continued- "So, Vita. Is that a nickname?"