two; denial

Rowley's POV.

Greg and I finally finished all of Rodrick's chores. We stood in the kitchen, wiping drops of sweat off our foreheads and complaining to each other. Then, there was a ring at the door. "It's probably my parents and Manny." Greg said, going to answer the door. Rodrick hurried into the room. When Greg opened the door it wasn't his parents, it was a pizza delivery guy.

"One large cheese pizza?" He smiled, placing the big box into Greg's arms. Greg turned around, eyeing Rodrick.

"Did you order a pizza for us?" He asked suspiciously. Rodrick scoffed and shoved a ten dollar note into the delivery guy's hand before slamming the door.

"Pfft, no." He raised his eyebrows and snatched the box from Greg's arms, placing it on the kitchen counter. "It's for me."

I gulped, the smell of the deliciously cheesy, saucy and oily smell of the pizza floated around the room. Rodrick opened the box. "Fucking cheese?!" He growled, slamming the box shut again. I noticed his eyes flicker in my direction before he rolled his eyes and stormed up to his room, leaving the pizza on the counter.

"He only eats pepperoni pizza. I guess we should eat this." Greg shrugged, lifting the pizza box and placing it on the dining table, taking a seat.

"I know." I sat down and took a slice. I felt my face flush a deep red and I realized what I said. I know? God, how would I know? Have I been subconsciously remembering things about Rodrick. No, that's stupid. I go to Greg's house all the time, and we always get pizza. Of course I would know that.

4:27 a.m.

I woke up, rubbing my forehead. My throat was burning. God I hate that feeling; waking up in the middle of the night dehydrated. I slowly sat up and squinted towards Greg's bed, (I was sleeping on an air mattress next to his bed) to see that he was completely asleep. My cup on his bedside table was empty, and so was his. I sighed and grabbed my cup, drowsily standing up and stumbling out the door and down the stairs.

I made it to the kitchen, my eyes still have closed. The entire house was dark, normally I would be scared but I was too tired to feel fear. "Shit!" I whispered as I loudly and stupidly dropped the cup. Luckily it was only plastic. I bent down to pick it up and when I stood back up I felt something warm behind me. I hesitantly turned to see Rodrick standing closely over me.

"Boo." He raised his eyebrows and smirked at me. I jumped back, almost dropping the cup again. I regained my balance and placed the cup down on the counter. "What're you doing up? It's almost 5 in the morning." Rodrick scoffed.

"Um, nothing, I just woke up and I- uh, I'm thirsty." I gulped, my throat still stinging and desperately in need of water. Rodrick slowly walked closer to me. I backed up but ended up being cornered against a cabinet.

"Then keep it down." Rodrick kept his head up while glaring down at me. I shivered.

"I'm not scared of you." I choked out. What a lie. Wait, I can't believe I said that. Oh god, I am so dead.

Rodrick's POV.

I scoffed. I can't believe Rowley fucking Jefferson was talking back at me. Me. "You should be." I leaned down, holding my hands together behind my back as I spoke into Rowley's face. He looked lost, nervously staring into my eyes. He slowly moved closer, slightly trying to stand taller so he could reach my face. I eyed him up and down, repeating his gesture and leaning down closer. I pressed my hands down on the counter on both sides of him so he couldn't get away.

As I placed my hands on the counter, I accidentally knocked Rowley's cup onto the floor. Following the loud bang was the sound of Manny wailing and crying. "For fuck's sake." I chuckled quietly as I stood up, away from Rowley.