Chapter 21

A/N: Mild warning for Leopold being a possessive bastard and Cora being Cora near the end. Warning continues through the last few chapters just for the knock-on effects but I hope it's not too bad...

They slowed to a walk as the trees petered out, not wishing to attract attention as the walled town loomed about two hundred metres ahead. The clock above the gate was striking one, and floods of people streamed in and out with carts laden with produce for market. Lambs squealed and chickens clucked like their lives depended on it, and geese marched down the middle of the road in two-step. Regina fought her way out of the crowds and onto the grass verge at the side of the road while Robin pulled his hood up and continued on ahead to check the name of the town so they could locate themselves on the map. Knowing that being still would arouse suspicion she kept her horse walking slowly, not letting herself be dragged back into the flow of people.

"Why are there so many people, Mama?"

"It's market day. People come from all the neighbouring farms and villages to sell and buy things they need for the next week."

"Can we go?"

"Not today, Roland, I'm afraid. Papa's just gone to check where we are."

Roland shifted a little on the saddle. She was sitting as far back as she could but sitting two people to a single saddle was uncomfortable at the best of times.

"I prefer the old saddle."

"I know." Jerry's saddle had been incredibly comfy for long rides, and she missed it. She tried not to think about it lying at the bottom of the ocean for the fish to feed on. The horse she'd been given by Belle was fast, pretty gentle and very beautiful to look at, but his gait was much rockier than Jerry's and he was slightly more easily spooked. The saddle was smaller too as he was a lighter build than Jerry had been, so she and Roland were slightly more squashed.

Regina halted in a wider part of the road, a passing place for the people going against the flow, to wait for Robin. He seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of time to check the name on the gatepost and she was starting to feel conspicuous.

"Excuse me, miss, but could you tell me which town that is?" A hunched-over woman was standing at her stirrup, face hidden by her hood. The road suddenly seemed very empty.

"Err..." Regina took her time checking the map and hoping either that Robin would return soon or that they were where they thought.

"I'm not local to these parts but my map says..." Just then, the woman pushed her hood back and straightened to her full height, managing to look down on Regina even though her head was a good few feet below hers.

"Mother?!"

"Hello, dear."

"How did you find me?"

"There was a lovely girl working at King Maurice's castle, very helpful in answering my questions. Celia, it was. Did you know her?"

"I knew it."

"I am ashamed to call you my daughter." Cora's voice was deadly calm which only made Regina more nervous. She was very aware she had a child in her arms, whose body had instantly tensed when Cora had spoken.

"Couldn't you have done this a little more privately?" Regina asked in a hushed voice, trying hard not to glance up for Robin and give him away.

"Oh, but I couldn't wait until then," she bared her teeth in a false smile that just dripped with venom. "I couldn't wait to see how my only child had grown. Into a liar, an adulteress, and a lowly peasant... Everything I taught you not to be."