Chapter 16

Regina was frozen on the spot and it had nothing whatsoever to do with the cold. Robin looked terrible. His eyes had dark circles underneath them, there were frown lines in place of the smile creases she loved and he looked so thin, frail almost, in the white nightgown and dark robe. Underneath, thick bandages could clearly be seen around his torso and his eyes had lost much of their sparkle. He was unkempt, and new scrapes, cuts and scars covered his handsome face. She was shocked at how much older he looked, and sickened by the sight. If she'd never asked for his help...

"Papa?" Roland had struggled out from underneath her arms, eyes falling on his father for the first time in months. Regina shook herself out of her reverie and put a hand on his shoulder to stop him from running to Robin, scared he'd knock him over just by hugging him but he seemed to be frozen to the spot as well. The man looked like he was about to faint.

Pushing herself up she managed to catch him before he hit the snow, Roland following at a slower pace. His forehead was boiling hot but his body shivered violently as he clung to her shoulders. His eyes were a strange mixture of pain and relief as they looked deep into hers, right past the façade she'd built up, the layers of strength and backstory she'd had to enforce to ensure Roland's safety.

Forcing herself to break the moment she lifted him onto his feet, his arm across her shoulders and hers round his waist, taking his full weight as they staggered back to the castle. She didn't have time to wonder how he got to be here, or even register the warmth flooding through her from where her hand touched his. Reaching the castle she went through the first door she came to - which was wide open and probably the route Robin had taken to get out - and called repeatedly for help.

"What is i... Mr. Locksley! Where have you been? We were worried sick!"

"He just came upon us in the garden."

"Come in here." Celia led them into a little parlour, clearly for the housekeeper's use. Regina guided Robin onto the sofa. "I'll call a manservant to help him back to his room." Robin managed to reach up and touch her cheek softly, whispering her name before he fell unconscious.

The next fifteen minutes were a blur; once he was safely reinstated in his bed, the fire stoked up and the doctor asked to stay a while longer Celia closed the window and ushered them through the connecting door back to their room.

"Thank you for finding him, I went out for two minutes and when I came back he'd disappeared."

"He was the one that found us. But you're welcome."

"I've got to go and see that Belle's all right with these wedding arrangements. Thanks again, miss." She curtseyed and left, the picture of politeness and humility, but Regina noticed something flash across her green eyes that made her feel somewhat nervous.

She crashed onto her bed, completely astounded by that whole encounter. A whirlpool of emotions flooded through her. Relief; fear; joy; sadness. Roland had crawled up beside her, fat tears rolling down his cheeks, no doubt at seeing the man he admired so much looking so weak. She slipped her arms around him and held him close, she needing the comfort almost as much as he did.

"It's all my fault. I'm so horrible!" he wailed. Regina muffled his loud sobs by hastily pulling him right into her chest so his head was over her heartbeat and he wouldn't wake the sleeping man in the next room.

"No..."

"I ran away from him. I wanted to give you your stone and didn't think the boat would go. I didn't think at all about my Papa and now he probably hates me."

"Hey. Look at me." She had to lift his chin up to face her, he was so horrified and embarrassed.

"All right, you shouldn't have run away."