9. Offer

My alarms irritating buzz woke me at five and I grumbled as I pulled myself out of bed to turn the damned thing off. I intentionally moved it to the other side of the room so it would force me to get out of bed to turn it off. I quickly turn off the alarm and and yawn and rub the sleep from my eyes and waited expectantly. I felt better today? There was no crushing pain, no burning, just a bearable ache. I rubbed my chest and sighed in thanks to whatever the reason for this. 

A sudden loud growl startled me from my silent thanks and made me look down at my stomach in confusion, suddenly feeling sick and hungry. I quickly walk into the kitchen and swore at myself when I noticed how bare my cupboards and fridge were. How had I survived this long? I look down at my bony figure in embarrassment and disgust. How had I let it get this bad? How had I let someone else affect me like this that I actually neglected myself? Well no more, I was going to start looking after me from now on, no more neglect and no more self pity. I was better than this! I quickly pull out my notepad and pen to start a shopping list but quickly changed my mind. I needed everything. I turn the kettle on and quickly jump in the shower and get dressed in my usual black trousers and t-shirt for work and make my coffee before walking out the front door.  

The lights were already on and Jeff was busy in the kitchen preparing for the day. His usual radio channel could easily be heard as I walked in and I smile.

"Morning Jeff." I shouted over at him making sure that he knew I had arrived. 

"Morning Tabby." He shouts back as I headed towards the staff room and pulled my apron out of my bag and put it on. I then walked back out into the kitchen and looked at Jeff. 

"Could I trouble you for a breakfast Jeff, just something small and quick?" I ask hesitantly as i stood just outside the kitchen. I knew he wouldn't say no but it felt wrong asking. I wasn't used to asking Jeff for food. Jeff threw me a massive smile as I stood there fidgeting while I waited for him to answer. 

"Of course you can. Been waiting for you to have one of my breakfasts since you started." He said happily. "Go grab a coffee and I'll bring it over." He ushers me away from the kitchen with a wink. My heart warms at his enthusiasm to eat his food. I remembered when I first got the job he thought I didn't want or like his food. But he soon discovered that I had little to no appetite. I quickly make a large coffee and and grab a copy of the local paper and take a seat near the window. I was quietly reading the advert section when Jeff shoved his food under my nose causing my stomach to growl loudly. I silently shushed my stomach and thanked Jeff. 

"Eat up girl, can't have you wasting away on shift." He says giving me a small smile. "Enjoy."

"I will Jeff, it smells divine." I smile and pick up my knife and fork. My mouth waters as the smell continues to tempt me. Bacon, eggs, burger, fried tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, beans and toast. I dug in without hesitation and didn't look up until my plate was empty. I lean back and sighed in bliss, my stomach uncomfortable with how full I felt but it felt so good! 

"Never seen anyone eat like that." Jeff's chuckle brought me out of my food coma. I felt my face flame as I realised Jeff was sitting across from me and I give Jeff an embarrassed smile. "I don't know why you've never really eaten before, but I'm glad you've started." He says getting up and grabbing my plate. 

"It's fine Jeff, I can take it." I say.

"Don't be silly. Finish your coffee and let the food settle before you start running around." He pats me on the back and disappears back into the kitchen. I smile at Jeff's back and relax with a sigh on contentment. I felt so much better. I could feel my wolf agreement on how good this feels. I look back down at the adverts and take a few numbers for handymen in the local area as I had a more than a few things that needed to be fixed around the house.