v. february 29th, 1536

journal entry #4 AN ENTRY ON THE VISIT
DURING THE YEAR OF OUR LORD, 1536.

The next quadrennial passed by quicker than the last. I spent my years with more of a positive outlook on my drab existence for I held the certainty that my angel would return when his four years were up.

When The Doctor did return next, I was teetering between boyhood and manhood. I just had a few more of my studies to finish up, the final pieces to pick up where my lost father had left. But I took my time with those studies, for as long as I had them, I was still a boy and my childish laughter would not be scolded.

And as a child, I would not miss one second of the presence of my playdate. I woke up dreadfully early, earlier than the maids and butlers my father had hired to care for me through death using his will. I sat where I felt most comfortable, beside the warm fireplace, and waited for hours in anticipation for his arrival.

His coming was as graceful as ever, his ship blinking to and fro until it finally settled where it always had. I stood in excitement to greet him and began to skip towards the box before a stranger stepped out.

I was vulnerable at this age, so I let out a cry of surprise. I stumbled over myself and nearly pitched into the blazing fire, its heat apparent on my back and a sharp pain running through my buttocks as I fell backwards.

"Happy 12th birthday, Abraham!"

I am highly ashamed to admit that I did not recognize him for a few moments. Instead of his snug leather jacket and blue jeans (as he called them), he wore an even snugger tweed suit and a trench coat hung off his shoulders.

Instead of a close shaven haircut, his spiked brown hair drew my attention and immediately let me know of his more eccentric personality. But that personality was not him until I looked into his eyes.

He could have told me my mother's name. He could have explained to me every detail of my life. I still would not have believed it my was friend until I looked into his eyes.

They were not only windows into his soul, but a window through all of time and space. They held the simply story of the universe, the intricate story of Gallifrey, and the even more heartfelt stories of those he had lost.

His eyes held grief and love and childish wonder like no one else, a trait God had gifted with him. And so I knew it was him.

"Y-You look a bit different, Doctor," I stuttered. He cocked his head a bit at my statement, before his eyes widened and his mouth opened with a hearty chuckle.

"Oh, it totally slipped my mind!" He patted himself down a bit, and pulled his coat back so that I may get a better look at his new body. "Not too bad, eh?"

"I suppose?" He laughed once again, before striding towards my fallen form and lifting me to my feet. "How did you do it?"

"Ah, it just happens sometimes," he shrugged it off with a scrunched nose. "But you! Your voice dropped. You're taller, more flesh on your bones."

It was truly hard to grasp how long apart we had spent. We had both gone through many changes, his more extreme than mine, and we had surely both changed as people. I just laughed loudly at the thought. Our lives were so peculiar, in the most ordinary of ways.

"Oi, what're you laughing at!" He pointed a slender finger in my direction before reaching over and ruffling my curly hair. "Ew, why'd I do that? Remind me never to do that again."

"Quite affectionate of you, sir," I chuckled. "Seems as if the years have been treating you well."

"Why, of course! I get to see you again, do I not?"

The hours passed by as fast as the years had, my grandfather clock ticking away in a mocking manner. No one bothered us as we walked about my house, no one questioning his present as he waved about a blank piece of paper. We did several activities together, some a bit too childish for my taste but I could tell he did not have much experience with someone my age.

"What do kids your age even do nowadays?"

We stood on the grand staircase that welcomed guest when they first walked in. Night would soon settle upon us the universe would drag him away once more.

"Depends on your class, I suppose," I mumbled. "A peasant boy would be working his arse off right about now. A prince would be training to take over our throne."

"And how about a noble such as yourself?" A genuine curiosity shone in his tone. I am convinced he knew the inner workings of my society, but not yet of me. "I imagine they don't have many charities set up you could be donating to at the moment."

"Boring," I grumbled. I kicked at the floor as if there were somehow a rock.

"Boring?! You're a rich, black, orphan noble in 16th century England and your only friend is an alien from our space who has access to every single second and every single star!" He scoffed lightly. "Boring... There has to be something."

I thought as hard as my human mind would allow me, racking the past few weeks, months, years. Much had changed since I was 8, but nothing at the same time. Then she popped into my mind.

"My caretakers have been insisting I find a wife. I am nearing that age," I said thoughtfully. His eyes lit up, and he tapped my shoulder.

"Aaahhh! Marriage; such a wonderful thing! Something most species have in common, quite interesting. It's between races, between genders... sometimes it lasts an eternity, sometimes it lasts an hour...etcetera etcetera."

"Yes." My face fell as he went on. My mood shift went unnoticed at first until my mumbles ceased. He looked over to me and his features dropped to match mine.

"Oi, now what's all this?" He stepped closer to me and dropped his voice. "Having trouble finding the one?"

"No..." I drew my words out. "I was introduced to a nice noble girl. She is my age, and she is quite gorgeous. I just..."

"It doesn't feel right, correct?" I nodded. "Don't marry a girl you don't feel comfortable around, got it?"

Nodding. I could only nod because what would he think if I said more? I would not dare let it slip that maybe the problem was that fact she was a woman.

And so I did not. He would not know for another few years. So we sat together, him and I, both becoming acquainted with each others' new bodies and newer minds.

He jumped between giving me fatherly advice, in place of the father that refused to be with me; friendly advice, since he was my only friend; and teacherly advice, for I had always been my own mentor.

And we sat shoulder and shoulder until he had to leave. And when he had to leave, he insisted on embracing me in a hug. And when he left,
I was ready for the next four years.