Ria tugged at his hand, and he bent down.

“Papa, you are hurt. Did you fight?” she asked, concern creasing her small forehead.

“It’s nothing, bubba. I’ll be fine. Doctor has put a band aid, see.” He pointed to his chin and cheek.

Ria’s gently touched them. “Ouch. It hurts,” she cried softly, jerking her finger away.

He smiled and pulled her into a tight hug. His eyes prickled with tears. She was so much like his precious wife that it was difficult to tell them apart sometimes.

“It doesn’t now,” he whispered into her ears and placed a kiss on it.

Moving away, he looked into her eyes. “Now, I’m going to take mamma to the bedroom and put her to sleep in the bed. Okay.”

“Okay. Don’t worry, papa. I’ll get ready on my own. Mamma is tired and sleepy,” she said looking at her mother.

“Good girl.” He patted her cheek.

She smiled at him and ran off to the kitchen to her dadima.

His eyes rested on his beautiful wife who was deep in sleep. Her chest rose and fell to an unknown rhythm, and as if she had sensed him near, she smiled, turning her head slightly towards him muttering his name.

Raj.

A soft lilt. A sigh. A raspy breath. An admonition. A plea. A guttural utterance in the throes of passion, a demand, a prayer – his name on her tongue made him feel alive like no other.

Kissing her softly on her parted lips, he lifted her up against his chest and started up the stairs. The way she instinctively snuggled into his chest made his heart swell with pride.

She was his. And he would make damn sure she remained only his. He couldn’t live without her. He couldn’t breathe without her – she was that important to him.

Naina buried her face into his neck, her lips moving against his skin. It burned. She burned him with a simple touch. His step faltered with the force of desire she evoked in him. He stood over the bed, content in just holding her, reluctant to let her go yet.

But, he had to get Ria ready for school, something that his wife missed twice in a week because of him.

Careful not to wake her up, he rested one knee on the mattress and slowly lowered her on to the bed. She mewed softly, and he damn near pulled her back into his arms. He shut his eyes for a moment and opened them to look at her snuggling into the pillows.

He covered her with the blanket, kissed her lips twice, just because he couldn’t not do it. It should irk him - the kind of power, even asleep, she had on him. But, it didn’t.

There was no one else in the world he would submit to but her.

Making sure she was fast asleep, he changed into a pair of slacks and a black vest before rushing downstairs to get Ria ready for school.

Surprisingly, it was a breeze. Maybe because her daughter didn’t stop asking about her mother and her absence made her decide to act responsibly.

In record time, the father and daughter duo was outside waiting for the school bus. They were soon joined by Vansh accompanied by his maid.

“Morning, champ,” greeted Varun, looking towards the boy’s home to see if one of his parents stood waving him goodbye or something.

“Morning,” he heard Vansh mumble, and wave shyly at Ria. Ria reciprocated by launching into what happened between him leaving home after dinner and her bed time.