Chapter 1

I'm standing in a field of darkness. There's no end and no beginning. Every direction i look all i see is the same color over and over. Black, black, black. Where am i? Why can't i see anything? I reach my hand up and touch my eyes, slowly and carefully as if to not poke them out. My fingers come back wet. Tears? No, I'm not crying. Then it must be blood.

    I saw a flash of something in the corner of my eye, then some demented evil cackling. Hopefully this means I'm not blind. Still, i get a chilling feeling when i hear the cackling and my body shudders. Maybe it would be better if i was blind right now.

    "Who's there!" I shout into the black, wiping the sweat off my brow.

    "Aiden", I hear my name being whispered in a voice that sounds like bones grinding against each other. My body jerks violently against my will and searing hot pain shoots up my spine.

    Just when I'm about to turn and start screaming and running around in circles, I hear the voice again. "Your soul is mine, Aiden Rayne", It says.

    My stomach feels full of spiders, crawling around on tiny hairy legs, up into my rib cage towards my heart.

    "Who are you?" I ask in a weakened, shaky voice.

     The next thing i heard shattered everything inside me. I knew what the name meant and i also knew i couldn't begin to imagine what the name meant. I was in the most dreadful position and there was no escape. He was going to use me for some demented reason and it wasn't to give me flowers.

    "Satin", The demonic voice replied.

    That was when my body started to ache. At first it felt like I'd slept on stone for more than a few nights, but then it began to hurt more and more and more. Until It felt like there was a huge million pound weight dropped on top of me. My legs felt like liquid and buckled under me. I gritted my teeth as i landed on my knees. The pain was unbearable.

    I couldn't take it. No normal human being could take this. I screamed. Over my screams of agony i could hear Satin's demented laughter.

    I crushed my ears with my hands. "Get out of my head!"

    "Aiden get up", he screeched.

     I sat up, shaking and soaked in sweat. A few minutes later i heard footsteps frantically struggling up the stairs. All i could think was: he's coming for me, I'm gunna die, this is it. My heart felt like it was in my throat, my brain struggling to process an escape route. But when my bedroom door burst open it was my mom, running towards me.

     "Aiden! Are you awake?", she asked frantically, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me.

     It took me a moment of looking at her through bleary eyes to realize that it was really her, not Satin. I grabbed her into a huge hug.

     "It's okay, honey, its going to be okay. Your not in hell. It was just another bad dream", She comforted.

     I let go of her, my legs almost giving out as i got out of bed. After affects of Satin's little show. I didn't glance back to see my mom's arms drop back against her sides or her famous, worried mommish look she more than likely wore. Instead, I headed for my dresser.

     "Yeah mom, thanks, I'm okay now", i told her, trying to sound convincing as i grabbed some jeans and laid them on top of my dresser.

      I was leaning against the dresser for support, still breathing a little heavy. Clearly, i wasn't okay. But i couldn't tell her that. She was a huge worry wort and would go crazy trying to find something that would make it okay. Either than that, i knew me being not-okay would hurt her, and i wasn't about to do that either.

     "Are you sure?", She asked.

      I was starting to feel a little bit naked in my boxers and tank top, "Of course i am, mom. Now will you please leave so i can change?"

     There was a short silence. Knowing mom, she was probably analyzing my posture, the tone of my voice, everything, to see if i was telling the truth.

     She must have decided to leave it to me, since i was obviously not okay. She got up and started towards the door.

     "I'll see you downstairs, love you", she said as she went out the door.

     I threw myself on my bed, remembering a previous dream.

Black. That color was everywhere, engulfing me, choking me. This place was vaguely familiar although i couldn't think of why.

                                     ..........................

     "i will torture anyone who stands in my way. It's too late to go crying to your mommy, Aiden. Bring her into this and she will suffer unbearable pain for decades before i finally kill her." 

     I could always remember bits and pieces of past nightmares. Although during one I can't remember any others. I always forget what I've learned, and instead i'm vulnerable, scared, and helpless. I hate feeling like that.