promise me

i've never been on a plane before so sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, just going off of prior knowledge.

Lost My Mind by FINNEAS
✈︎

Mike woke up to the sound of someone rustling around, he was of course in El's room as he had spent the night the day before and when he opened his eyes he saw El bringing her suitcases out of the room.

Then it hit him. She was leaving today and Mike couldn't have dreaded this day more.

He got out of her bed slowly, stretching his arms before he got up to go look for El. She was in the kitchen with Hopper, who was sipping a cup of coffee. El spotted Mike walk into the kitchen and she smiled sadly, "Finally awake?" She asked softly, "Yeah.."

"I wanted to let you sleep a little longer, since you probably won't get any sleep tonight." She said as she walked over towards him. "Thanks," Mike chuckled, "I'm just going to drive separately, if that's okay? You two are probably going to be all mushy and sad and I can't deal with it right now." Hopper said with a tired sigh. "Yeah that's fine, I just want you at the airport when I leave."

"Of course. Want me to go put your bags in the car?" Hopper offered, El nodded and the burly man stood up and grabbed her suitcases, which were placed by the door neatly, and carried them out to his truck. El turned to face Mike when Hopper left and saw the sad expression printed onto his face.

El immediately ran to him and hugged him, "You are going to make this really hard for me." She admitted shyly, "Sorry." Mike whispered, placing his chin on the top of her head. "Don't try to be too upset around me, if you can?" She asked, this was already hard enough for her but if Mike got all upset, it would only be worse.

"I'll try." He replied, his answers were fast and short. He didn't know what to say except respond to her, what was he supposed to say?

"Why don't you go get dressed and get something to eat, we have to leave soon." El suggested, pulling away from him and offering a small smile. Mike shrugged and nodded his head and then went back to her room to find some clothes. He opened her closet and found one last sweater in there, all of the rest she had packed away in her suitcase.

He took off his pajama shirt and slipped the sweater over his head and then found his jeans from yesterday draped over the chair by her desk, so he put them on. After he was dressed he messed around with his hair and then walked back to the kitchen and grabbed a granola bar out of the cabinet.

The kitchen was painfully quiet, no one said a word. What was right to say in that moment? Hopper was so happy his little girl would be going to the school of her dreams, but he was also sad he would be all alone in their house. No one to watch Miami Vice with, no one to eat eggo extravaganzas with, or play board games with. Just Hopper. Mike was also happy about her going to Italy to fulfill her lifelong dream, but he couldn't help but be selfish to want her to stay. He couldn't face the loneliness, waking up alone, spending summer alone, doing things they loved most by himself, only visiting her every few weeks. This would be torture for him and Hopper both.

Not only the boys were sad but El too, she had never left the states before and she would have to face a whole new country by herself, without Hopper or Mike by her side and that terrified her. Hopper only had the money for one plane ticket, because of her boarding fee in Italy, but oh how he wanted to go with her. If something happened to her, he would never know.

Breaking everyone out of their thoughts, Hopper looked at his watch and realized they would have to leave now. "Okay.. I think it's time to go." Hopper announced after clearing his throat. Mike glanced to El quickly and she looked over at him and then at Hopper. She nodded and got up, "We'll meet you at the airport?" She asked, Hopper nodded and gave her a quick hug.