Lantern Festival pt. 2

"Ah, the lantern festival?"

    The lantern festival was an event that took place only once a year in the village. Based on occasional various farmers' conversation over the past years, it's to celebrate a year's worth of harvest and to hope for another good one for the next year. Usually, when this event took place, Shen Yuan would climb on the tallest place he could find and watch how the normally quiet village, turn into a bustling place with activity. At the darkest hour in the evening, the people would send these little lights into the sky, making it similar to the stars above.

    Luo Binghe had abandoned his sword practice and followed Shā Huálíng's example in going to where Shen Yuan was. Shā Huálíng's hand still held onto Shen Yuan's robes, "Shifu, can we go? We've been working so hard for the last weeks," after a second thought, she continues, "it sounds so much fun. Didn't you tell us we have to get to know each other better? If we go, I think we'll do that." She looks to Shen Yuan determinedly with puffed-out cheeks.

    To save her for her poor choice of words, Luo Binghe adds, "There's a lot of variety of foods for Shizun to try; I know you have been wanting to try other types of human food." Shen Yuan suddenly became even more curious about this festival than before. Food just as good as Luo Binghe's, count him in. "Oh really," Shen Yuan asks them both amusingly with a quirked eyebrow.

    Two heads nod vigorously in reply. "Hmm..." He teases them with anticipation, "I'll think about after today's work, how about that?"

Shā Huálíng groans. "Again? We just finished sparring..."

    "No ifs, and, or buts about it," he pushes the two in the opposite direction, even with the way Shā Huálíng was trying to make herself glued to the floor, "off you two go, these spars aren't just for show."

    Shā Huálíng just huffs in annoyance. While Luo Binghe goes without any resistance, used to the slave driver known as his Shizun.

    Underneath Shen Yuan's facade of cheeriness, he was deep in thought. Stuck more like, he did want to go with his students to the festivals, but the problem lies with going into the village. He was afraid to put it plainly. The idea of leaving the only place he's ever known and going into a new environment scared him. Shen Yuan eyed the two small gremlins in the distance giving their all in trying to impress him. It would've been humorous, if not for the inner turmoil he was facing. Hah, he needs some fresh air.

    It would be best to head back to their home first he supposed; there was nothing for him do anyway. A quick word to let them know he was leaving and that once they are done they can also come back, he withdraws quietly into the trees. He continues to ponder on about the festival, touching his scaly cheeks while doing so. Soon his steps reach the mouth of the cave he peers into it, eyes landing on an item he hasn't seen in a while. His mask.

    It lies innocently near his hoard. Each step of his echos in the silent cave, he soon stands within reach of it. A hand reaches out and lifts it with ease, he gently caresses the patterns that decorate it. The idea he had many weeks ago came back, he found a solution for his scales. Now comes another problem though, Shā Huálíng. He may have a mask to hide his appearance, but she does not. He'll need to be a bit creative to hide her demon mark. He does have an idea in mind, but he'll have to see if Shā Huálíng is agreeable to it.

    Speak of the devil, he hears loud footsteps approaching from behind him. Was he lost in thought for that long?

"Shifu, we finished all of our exercises!"

"Have you reconsidered, Shizun?"

    Shen Yuan turns around to face the two, with the mask in hand. "I may have." Shā Huálíng looks ready to burst with excitement, "Let's get ready now! Finally, I can't stand here any longer---" Shen Yuan smoothly cuts her off, before she could say anything else.